Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

About 6 months ago, in the throes of a bit of an emergency, I rushed into Target and bought the cheapest Tracfone they had. I HAD to make a phone call...it's a long story. Anyway, I got the cheapest one-month plan they had, which has long-since expired. It's been sitting in my desk.

Last night it occurred to me that it's an Android device, and it should work just fine on wireless, without any phone plan at all. Indeed, it does. It has a GPS in it. So I downloaded Open CPN...it took a while to figure stuff out on the little screen, but I now have a handheld navigation device that reports my lat-long and puts my position on nautical charts. Now, I can't get the AIS to talk to it, but little steps, little steps.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I pulled the clamps and wax paper off the rudder today. Hmmm...Most of it was good, but there were a few too many spots where it didn't bond well. The worst was one side where the blade transitions from foil (below the waterline) to rectangular (above the waterline). I got to it while the epoxy was still a little soft so I cut off the flash, slathered fresh epoxy into a few place and clamped it again. There were a few bubbles...not horrible, so they got cut out and got a layer of epoxy with a mess of glass fiber mushed into it. Anyway, It wasn't BAD, it just wasn't quite as pretty as I'd hoped. Anyway, it's still on the sawhorses in the front yard, catalyzing away again, with a mess of wax paper and clamps on it.

I also taped off part of the wind blade and it got a coat of paint. Some of the flash from the oar, and extra epoxy got re-purposed to further beef up the middle of the fiberglass tube that will hold the actual wind-vane. That thing will be bomb-proof.

...and Joan and I went for a 21 mile bike ride today after "online" church.

Here's a screen capture of Jan Alkemea's "final" version of his system....USD windvane and RHM pendulum oar.

Last edited by AlanH; 04-12-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Alan,
    If you wonder, there are lots of us following your thread(s) and impressed by your creativity. Please keep posting.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Alan,
    If you wonder, there are lots of us following your thread(s) and impressed by your creativity. Please keep posting.
    Thanks.

I took the emergency rudder to the E-rudder seminar and nobody seemed much interested. That's OK, there were lots of things going on that day, so no biggie. I have to wonder though, if anybody pays any attention to this stuff I throw in here, so thank you for posting.

Remember folks, an online FORUM..is a FORUM. The word "FORUM" implies INTERACTION. If there's no interaction, if it's the same 8 people posting to themselves and each other all the time, at some point those eight folks get tired of the sound of their own voices. Then the whole thing just dies. If you're watching a topic, post something in the thread now and then. Without participation, this stuff just dies out.

Alan, If this makes it to your screen, it's. rare example from me. I've responded to several of your posts, but my post just disappears. I "see" it go and it looks like it's been posted, but when I come back later it's gone. Anyway, I follow your posts. Remember I depend on that unbalanced E.R. to save my bacon if the rudder falls off. Pat B/.

Alan,
    I eagerly await your next post, and in fact, I was semi seriously thinking about a general post, asking all that do post, to write faster and post more often.
    You and Bob have done a pretty good job of it, but many of our regular posters, (you know who you are), have been sporadic.

I haven't seen my boat in over a month, and I miss her something fierce. This forum has been the closest to her and salt water as I've been able to get.
    The warming weather this week may push me over the edge to go see "my other girl"; brush her hull and run the engine in gear for at least 30 minutes.
    Brad
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

This might instill some jealousy with your trash barrels, but have you considered something like this folding workbench with built in clamp. This version is probably decades old, and the newer version have more plastic to keep them lighter for job to job carrying. Just a suggestion. The rear board moves to three location for various clamping widths.

Ants

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 713
Size:  4.74 MB

I actually have a table in my garage....Bob's post struck a nerve. I need to clean it off and beef it up. It's strong enough, it's probably holding 150 pounds of "stuff" right now, but an hours re-organization would open up some significant workspace. Then, the judicious application of some scrounged plywood would probably stiffen it considerably.

You all see that I have a couple of sawhorses. I could easily make two more from junk wood that's around the neighborhood.

I just went outside and pulled the clamps and wax paper off of the pendulum rudder. Yesterdays attempts at fixing the un-bonded bits worked a treat. I have a good solid 'glassing job now, if not the ultimate in resin/glass ratio.

Thanks for posting, Pat and Ants...

My response was from personal experience.

When we bought this house in 1995, it had a decent workbench built in along one wall in the garage. But I'd piled it high when we moved in. When I wanted to do a project, I'd shift the crap around to make a little work space. And I often wanted a better way to hold stuff I was working on. I'd move the car out and set up a card table, to which I'd clamp the part down with a C-clamp or something. I made a lot of sloppy saw cuts and inaccurate holes.

Twenty(!) years later I finally cleaned off the workbench completely, drove over to Sears in Concord and bought a vise. It cost less than a hundred bucks.

That's what flashed through my head when you posted about wanting a vise. I was yelling at myself for having waited so long.

I see a solid looking (probably made in China) vise at Home Depot for $46. I can do that!

Alan