Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This was going to be a low-tech job, so I laid the 24-ounce triaxial fiberglass on, and starting painting/glopping resin on the cloth. I never mixed up too much resin/hardener as I was pretty sure I had enough to do the job, but I didn't want to waste it by having it kick off in the plastic mixing tub.

Name:  IMG_1832-sm.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  290.2 KB

I did one side first. The rudder has 3/16 th's holes drilled in the end, and small screws were partially driven into them. The rudder hangs from those screws, which lie on the sawhorses you see. Well...DAMN...but one of them popped out and I had neglected to put a sheet of plastic on the ground under the project, so the rudder got a mess of dirt in it. I cleaned it up best I could with a brush and paper towels but there's some dirt in this layup. Dummy....one sheet of plastic would have saved quite a mess. All right, so I took the screws out and replaced them with some long nails, just shoved in the holes and that worked fine. This will still be plenty strong enough.

Anyway, I have one of those wedged fiberglass laminating rollers:
    Name:  31JR4V6SEVL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  8.0 KB

So between using the dispo paintbrush to paint/glopp on the resin, and the roller to even the wet-out of the cloth, I just went at it for about an hour and 45 minutes.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-27-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"