Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Oversized wind blade....needs paint.
    Name:  Big_Wind_Blade.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  458.0 KB

Little changes can make big differences. I'd tried bicytcle brake cables in brake housing...too much friction. I tried thick monofilament through teflon tubing, too much friction. But I hadn't tried the brake cables through the teflon tubing, seeing as the brake cable housings are lined with teflon. Well...son of a gun. These rotating hangers mean that the wire pull is always a straight line, too....cuts friction.
    Name:  cable-hangers.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  292.0 KB

And finally, adding a little bit of material here and there to ensure the cables don't rub on anything, helps, too.

Name:  block-angle.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  288.8 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

All right, I officially give up on the windvane. It hasn't been a money sink but it's been a time sink and I'm done throwing time into it.

Raymarine/FLIR. replaced the fried motor in my ST2000 and mailed it back. I just had to pay postage TO them...about $20. I'll test it once my back recovers.

I've got a compression between C-6 and C-7 that was strongly irritated during the qualifier and by some nasty stress right when I got back. No sailing for me until it clears up and it hurts like hell. S leeping on the cabin floor, sliding down into a crushed-up fetal position on the way out didn't help things. I'm taking Gabapentin which helps with the pain. This has happened 3x in the past 12 years, more or less and I'm just getting older. If it follows the same pattern as the other times I have another 5-7 weeks of pain to get through before it clears up. Now, have to consider as to whether it's smart for me to be in the middle of the Pacific by myself....if this happens while I'm out there, it will be very unpleasant. ~Very!~

I pitched the RHM part of the system, today. In the trash it went, after I removed a mess of the hardware. I will try to get the upper half to drive a trim tab on the main rudder. So this afternoon was spent digging the class rudder out of the leaves alongside the house, hosing it off, sanding the wood and getting 4 coats of polyrethane on it. The rudder has a pretty big crack up near the pivot. I ground it out, looks like it's only gel coat at a big of the underlying glass. I'll make an epoxy/glass mash and fair it and seal it.

The Class rudder will go on the boat while I diddle around with the rudder I made to get a trim tab on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Raymarine/FLIR. replaced the fried motor in my ST2000 and mailed it back. I just had to pay postage TO them...about $20. I'll test it once my back recovers.

I've got a compression between C-6 and C-7 that was strongly irritated during the qualifier and by some nasty stress right when I got back. No sailing for me until it clears up and it hurts like hell. S leeping on the cabin floor, sliding down into a crushed-up fetal position on the way out didn't help things. I'm taking Gabapentin which helps with the pain. This has happened 3x in the past 12 years, more or less and I'm just getting older. If it follows the same pattern as the other times I have another 5-7 weeks of pain to get through before it clears up. Now, have to consider as to whether it's smart for me to be in the middle of the Pacific by myself....if this happens while I'm out there, it will be very unpleasant. ~Very!~
    Amen for Gabapentin! 1 a day, every morning. And several in my pocket "pharmacy." Just a day on the Bay (yesterday's delayed CYC Fall Series Race for instance) and by the time I'm in the parking lot I gulp one for the drive home. Nothing about getting old gets any body part younger! Especially backs. How come there's so much bending over putting a boat to bed after a long day?

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Amen for Gabapentin! 1 a day, every morning. And several in my pocket "pharmacy." Just a day on the Bay (yesterday's delayed CYC Fall Series Race for instance) and by the time I'm in the parking lot I gulp one for the drive home. Nothing about getting old gets any body part younger! Especially backs. How come there's so much bending over putting a boat to bed after a long day?
    I hope that the gabapentin will break the pain-tension-compression cycle and I'll get off of it pretty soon. I can still feel the effect in the tip of my middle finger of my right hand, so the compression/inflammation is not gone. However, I barely feel an effect...and no pain (which is probably due to the gabapentin) in my right armpit, so I think this is progress.

OK so before I to to the trim-tab-on-the-main-rudder thing, I thought I would try to make a bigger and lighter vane and just try linking it directly to the tiller. I can't imagine this is gonna work, but what the hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vxaUwYXd4

Now, because I'm using an "Upside Down" vane, I have limits on how tall/long I can make the vane itself. If it's too long, it will hit the pulpit or the solar panels. I could make the pole taller but I doubt this is going to work so I'm not willing to alter things TOO much....basically start over. So I'm putting together a blade sort of like that one in the video. It will be lightweight fabric...ripstop for now 'cause I have some of it..over a framework. I'm using what I've got around the garage...which is some pretty stiff 1/4 inch fiberglass rod....plywood...polyurethane glue PL Premium... and the ripstop.

Here's the new, lightweight and 20% bigger blade "frame" gluing up, next to a tiller I'm making for the Piper, from leftover mahogany, that came with the boat. I HAD a tiller, but hell if I can FIND it, now.

Name:  WindBlade-rods.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  196.5 KB

Name:  Glue-up.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  247.9 KB

Many thanks to Greg Nelson for the opportunity to scrounge through boxes and bales of leftovers from Nelson Composites, Inc. ! I now have some raw material for the trim tab, cleats, blocks and camcleats for the Piper, and even the Caragnone, when I get to that. The little leftovers of marine ply will get turned into breasthooks and quarter knees for at least two boats! AND....I have a ridiculously stout and very light 6 foot piece of c.f. tubing, which I will be turning into a sprit for the Wildcat.

Now I just need to find an asymmetrical spinnaker about 32-33 on the luff.

Nelsen. He's sensitive

HA!..."sensitive". Well. kinda!

OK! IN the haul from Nelsons Composites, Inc. were a couple stanchion sleeves, the kind that you attach your lower lifelines to, at the bow/stern pulpit. I'd been using a cobbled-together setup that would no way pass inspection for SHTP. Since they're like $15 each, the drive to Greg's just saved me $35 bucks! Thanks Greg!. The new lower lifelines are on, made up by Ryan at Rogue Rigging and a ton stronger than the DIY jobs I had before.

Ryan also made up new upper shrouds for the Piper. I need to replace one spreader, just some thick-ish walled aluminum tubing, and fabricate a spreader tip and I can put the mast up. At some point I'll need to replace the rest of the standing rigging...the headstay for sure... but patience. I can't launch the Piper at Bethel Island anyway, ther'es an overhead power line about 25 feet above the road/berm where the launch ramp is, so I'll have to wait anyhow. Getting the stick vertical will just be a milestone, a mental and spiritual HURRAH!

I'm putting together a new tiller from some leftover mahogany I got from the Piper. I think it's the former owners traveler support for his long-gone Flying Fifteen. Well, some sawing, epoxy and creative "filling in"...and I'll have a tiller soon. The epoxy is kicking off as I write this.

I have the rod and the bearings (Thanks McMaster-Carr) for the rudder trimtab. We'll see how a sintered, oil- bronze bearing does on a s.s. shaft in the marine air.

The One Design rudder had some suspicious looking cracks, which I ground out only to find they were just into the gel-coat. GOOD. They're patched up with glass/epoxy mash, which is kicking off right now. Once it goes off, I can sand it, get a coat of paint on it and swap rudders.