Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Hey, thanks SSS forum admin, for changing the name of the thread!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I cannot sing the praises of PL Premium, enough.

http://www.loctite-consumer.com.au/e...PLPremium.html

The stuff sets up way faster than epoxy. I won't touch an epoxy bond without it sitting overnight, but PL Premium will set up and be workable in 7-8 hours, depending on temperature. Full strength is 24 hours, pretty much without fail, and the stuff is ~strong~.

It's very similar to 3M 4200, just in "tan" color rather than white/black.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=2004

$20 for a 10 ounce cartridge tube. PL Premium is available at any hardware store for $7 a tube.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-09-2020 at 09:27 AM.

This morning, the bonding on the hatch cover and the flanges is solid as a rock, so I don't think I'll bother glassing the inside. I'll just sand down some of the PL100 "sags", finish the epoxy/wood filleting at the ends and lay pieces of 3-inch tape along it. Then paint. That's plenty strong enough.

I just picked up a used AIS receiver from Blue Pelican for cheap. If I have to isolate myself from work, I can load up Open CPN and a mess of charts onto my little subnotebook, and hook up the AIS as well, and watch the traffic on the Bay.

so the current projects are:

1. companionway cover
    2. hatch cover scabbard
    3. get s.s. tiller cheeks on the primary rudder, move the currently-in-use aluminum ones to the e-rudder
    4. replace the BIOS battery in my subnotebook (got it already) and load on Open CPN, the GPS hockey-puck software and the AIS software

On the horizon...

get Leading Edge to stitch up my heavy weather jib.. $150
    buy/install Simrad autopilot .. $450
    get Leading Edge to install heavy-duty cunningham point in the dacron mainsail .. $150
    build/make stern pushpit ... I have the fittings, just need the tubing. ???

build USD Windvane and RHM pendulum oar. ...which will be more-or-less free, so it might get done before some of the more pricey items. However, having a working autopilot is sort of required for me to play in the Spinnaker PHRF class in the SSS, so that is going to the top of the list as soon as this companionway cover goes on.

and of course there's the Piper list.

1. make the boom......
    2. Finish cleaning the inside of the hull
    3. make the watertight bulkhead that will close off the bow area of the boat, and 'glass it in.
    4. Paint the inside of the boat.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-10-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I cannot sing the praises of PL Premium, enough.

http://www.loctite-consumer.com.au/e...PLPremium.html

The stuff sets up way faster than epoxy. I won't touch an epoxy bond without it sitting overnight, but PL Premium will set up and be workable in 7-8 hours, depending on temperature. Full strength is 24 hours, pretty much without fail, and the stuff is ~strong~.

It's very similar to 3M 4200, just in "tan" color rather than white/black.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=2004

$20 for a 10 ounce cartridge tube. PL Premium is available at any hardware store for $7 a tube.
    It is good to hear of options. It turns out the low humidity in Bodfish ((Kern County) has 3M 5200 solidifies in geologic time. I didn't understand the slow cure until I read about humidity activated. Slow was 3-4 days and not set. Aargh.

Ants

The rain has brought progress...the last steps.... on the companionway cover to a halt. I think I'm going to bring it inside tonight and put it in front of a little space heater to dry out.

The Pelagic autopilot has been removed, and I'm sending it to Ants. I hope he has better luck with it than I ever had. A Simrad TP22 will take it's place pretty soon. I need to get out to the boat again and take some measurements.

I bought an AIS receiver at Blue Pelican over e-bay last week, and went to the store to pick it up. While there, I grabbed a VHF antenne for $10 and a few bits of jewelry for the Pipers boom, which I will be able to cut out from the old skerry mast extrusion, pretty soon. Seeing as starting tomorrow, Stanford wants me to work at home, I should have some extra time.

Now I'm working from home, as Stanford has sent everybody but "essential services" home. It's really quiet, I can work for two hours, then do something else for an hour or two...work for an hour, etc. through the day. Today I managed to finish the last of the fiberglassing on the companionway cover. Tomorrow, if it's not raining, I'll get a coat of white latex paint on it.

I'm wrestling with the fact that my old laptop with Win 7 on it doesn't list COM ports. The USB "Hockey Puck" GPS receiver that I have needs to talk to Open CPN through a com port. Hm... Not sure how to solve this.

If you open "device manager" in windows 7 it will list the com ports and numbers for hardware and USB devices. The easiest way to find it is to click on the start button and type "device manager" otherwise it's buried in the control panel options. If you are missing a USB-serial driver the GPS will show up under USB devices with an ! to show it isn't working but should give you a name to google for the driver, that's usually the issue if the com port isn't showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by breezetrees View Post
    If you open "device manager" in windows 7 it will list the com ports and numbers for hardware and USB devices. The easiest way to find it is to click on the start button and type "device manager" otherwise it's buried in the control panel options. If you are missing a USB-serial driver the GPS will show up under USB devices with an ! to show it isn't working but should give you a name to google for the driver, that's usually the issue if the com port isn't showing up.
    This is what I've been doing, but my hockey puck GPS software creates a separate COM port that Open CPN doesn't "see". This little laptop also has LINUX on it, I might try that, instead.

I'm working from home and it's just not that busy. Also, now I have more weekends free. Joan wants to go hiking a lot, which is good but I still have time to make "boat stuff". In light of that, I'm starting on the next project, which I didn't think I would get to for months....a windvane.

I'm going to be making a variant on Jan Alkema's USD windvane, combined with his RHM pendulum. Mister Vee uses the USD concept, (USD = UpSide Down) but I don't know of any commercial enterprise that makes a RHM pendulum. "RHM" stands for Rudder Head Mount, and it's a servo-pendulum specifically designed for transom-mounted rudders. You can read about the system here: http://www.windautopilot.de/docs/alkema/RHM-USD.pdf

Jans own prototype, which he used on a boat not THAT different from the Wildcat, was a plywood job, though he changed over to welded stainless after a few years. I'm building ver. 1.0 in redwood and fiberglass/epoxy. Today I cut out the redwood bits for the actual mount and would have cut out the parts for the oar, but I ran out of time.

Work started yesterday on the RHM Pendulum Oar and USD windvane. The WindVane will be mounted on the stern pulpit, using a 4 1/2 foot length of fiberglass pole that I have lying around. It was formerly part of a Highland Games Weight-Over-Bar crossbar ie...it was free. IN fact, it this whole thing works, I might re-make the entire structure from these fiberglass poles, as I have a bunch of this stuff. It's remarkably strong, pretty light, and totally corrosion-free. Rough it up a bit, and it bonds really well with epoxy and fiberglass tape.

Anyway, I need to make a bracket with thumb screws that will allow the wind paddle to be spun 'round on that pole and aligned to the wind. This aluminum triangle is part of the bracket system. Ditto for the bent piece of aluminum stock. The triangle is just hacksawed out of this random piece of aluminum stock that I had lying round, and then I used JB Weld to stick it all together.

Name:  VaneBracket.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  252.9 KB