Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Take food and water, you're going to be there a while the first few times...

I went for a sail, today, figuring it was forecast to be light-ish wind (11-13) in the South Bay. I could get in some spinnaker practice. Well, it was NOT 11-13.

And this happened...

Name:  broke-tiller.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  278.9 KB

fortunately I had my backup tiller and a couple of crescent wrenches, so I got the bolt out between the cheeks, and duct-taped the e-rudder in there.

Name:  e-tiller.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  225.4 KB

i got back just fine, obviously. I just tucked in a reef, rolled up the jib and hobbled home. However, I think my next tiller will be hardwood and have aluminum cheek plates! Also, while I know in my head...wow, busted tiller, not good....having it actually happen has made me think that you know, before Hawaii, maybe I'll have two emergency tillers.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Had a little setback last night... was rear ended driving over vasco road coming back from working on the Piper. Busted out the back window of the truck with the back of my head but just had a little cut. I’m fine but the truck is totaled. The woman who hit me didn’t stop, but she didn’t make it far. Looks like it’s truck/car shopping time.

Glad you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Had a little setback last night... was rear ended driving over vasco road coming back from working on the Piper. Busted out the back window of the truck with the back of my head but just had a little cut. I’m fine but the truck is totaled. The woman who hit me didn’t stop, but she didn’t make it far. Looks like it’s truck/car shopping time.
    Give yourself time. if your truck was hit that hard - you are most likely going to suffer soft tissue damage. treat yourself kindly for the next weeks, months.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    Give yourself time. if your truck was hit that hard - you are most likely going to suffer soft tissue damage. treat yourself kindly for the next weeks, months.
    A pound of Epsom salts in a warm bath is our friend.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

And go get checked out.

No, seriously. Especially before you sign the claim release.

You guys...sheesh. Nothing hurts at all. No aches....no Tylenol, No Advil, no issues. I'm as coherent as I ever have been (whether I'm coherent or not is debatable, I know!)...no vision issues, no coordination issues, no balance, cognition, sensation issues at all. It's been two mornings now, and nothing aches. I slept just fine, the last two nights.

I've taken harder hits, just year before last, doing Scottish Backhold Wrestling. I've taken hits this hard, standing up under a table, or inside the Piper, working up under the foredeck. It was a good crash but no worse than a hundred other I've experienced.

And in other news...

Thanks to the SSS forum, I now have a Garmin Explorer. I need to learn how to use this thing!
    Last edited by AlanH; 06-16-2020 at 12:08 PM.

1) Okay, another voice. Do get checked out. If your head broke the window your skull took a sudden stop while your brain kept moving. Do it.
    2) Tiller: Laminated is stronger than solid. I think you have the knowledge and tools to do that. Good to have 2 wrenches in the kit.
    3) Which Garmin did you buy?
    Pat B.
    Last edited by Wylieguy; 06-16-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Yesterday I was pretty sore, so I scheduled a "video visit"..since they're not doing walk-in visits, with my PCP. I also had an eye exam. New glasses.

And..

I glued most of the bits of the old tiller back together again tonight, I'll slip a mess of oak splines into it and I bet it'll be as strong as new... AND, epoxied a couple of layers of red oak into a new tiller "blank"...which is kicking off outside in the work area, even as I type. So now I'll have two backup tillers.