Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Here's a small but vital post in the thread. Joan and I had The Talk. It's a "go". SHTP 2021 is ON.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Here's a small but vital post in the thread. Joan and I had The Talk. It's a "go". SHTP 2021 is ON.
    A fine milestone to achieve.

I guess it is back to the Kennedy Meadows Store to mark the occasion with more Kilt Lifter!!

By the way, there are two Kennedy Meadows stores. The closer one is in Tulare County and generally marks the transition from 700 miles of desert hikes to the beginning of the high Sierra travels. The other is in the mid-Sierra's, but since I haven't been there, I am bad source for information.

Cheers to solid preparations!

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    By the way, there are two Kennedy Meadows stores. The closer one is in Tulare County and generally marks the transition from 700 miles of desert hikes to the beginning of the high Sierra travels. The other is in the mid-Sierra's, but since I haven't been there, I am bad source for information.

Cheers to solid preparations!

Ants
    The Kennedy Meadows Resort & Packstation is located in the Stanislaus National Forest about 60 miles East of Sonora, Ca. and 10 miles West of the Highway 108 junction with the Pacific Crest Trail.

They offer a free shuttle from the PCT to the resort, but charge to get you back to the trail.
    We enjoyed their hot showers and had a nice meal in the restaurant while waiting for our ride home after hiking from Hiway 4 via PCT.
    Busy place Labor Day weekend!

Alan, congrats on the green light for the bug light!
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

Alan, congrats on the green light for the bug light!
    Congrats, indeed. No small thing. And great turn of a phrase, Greg. There should be T-shirts.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Having hiked out of Kennedy Meadows many times, en route to the northern Emigrant Wilderness, it's one of my favorite places in the Sierra!

I think Joan approved because I gave up on my earlier notion of doing the SHTP, leaving the boat in Honolulu, and then coming back in October to take 3 months to sail through Micronesia, to Guam. "Just " a SHTP seems so tame in comparison!

In todays news, the original, old 130% dacron genoa that I got with the boat, that never set very well, has headed up to Leading Edge sails. I cut it down to make a 23-foot hoist heavy air jib, but it needs work that I can't do. Joe will remove the little battens and re-cut the leech with some hollow. He'll finish the foot with some hollow as well, and drive rings into the corners. Also, a row of grommets will go up the leading edge, in the outside chance that the rolling furling self-destructs and I have to put the sail on with 75-pound zip ties.

Lasst night, I set the credit card on fire. OK, it's a little fire, compared to some of you, but I can still smell the smoke of burning plastic.

I've learned that both Defender.com and Fisheries Supply are usually 10-30% less expensive than West Marine. Example; a three-loop teak handrail for the cabintop on the Wildcat.

Fisheries Supply -- $30.66 each

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/whit...teak-handrails

Defender: Sea Teak 3-loop handrail by Sea Teak (different manufacturer than the above product) $23.99

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1759290#

West Marine: 3-loop teak handrail $44.99

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/white...ls--P012482600

Over and over again, West Marine just costs a lot more. Now, they have brick and mortar stores, but the cold-hard truth is that unless what I want is, say...electrical wire, a lifejacket, s.s. nuts and bolts, clothes, or electronics, odds are at least 50/50 that the San Carlos store won't have it in stock. They have to transfer it from another store or from Watsonville, and that takes 2-3 days. I used to dislike West Marine for driving so many local Chandleries out of business, but AT LEAST they were less expensive. Now, they're not even that.

I will credit the San Carlos store for having a reasonably decent selection of Harken and Ronstan sailing jewelry. However, the rope/line selection is pathetic.

So I'll be doing most of my big purchases of STHP gear, either used from SSS members, or from Defender.com or Fisheries supply.

Though I have to ask...or wonder....if what's left of Svendsens sells retail online? I would like to support them, but driving to Richmond every time I need something just isn't going to happen.

EDIT: Hullo? There's a walk-in store in Alameda, now?

https://www.svendsens.com/
    Last edited by AlanH; 06-12-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Since West Marine, aka "the Borg", has returned to price matching, it seems best to check shipping costs, versus CA sales tax first. Depending on weight and price, the Borg can be cheaper, using the price matching.
    Shipping time from Watsonville to your favorite outlet can take less time as well.

Sven's in Alameda has been open all through SIP, since they carry so much hardware in the new "costco style" location.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post

----Sven's in Alameda has been open all through SIP, since they carry so much hardware in the new "costco style" location.----
    How did I not know about this???? GAAAAAA!!!!!!