Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Today was a fun day. After some paint and sanding...drilling out the "bushings" I have in the oar carrier gudgeons, I screwed the gudgeons to the oar carrier and...wow....put the pieces together.Name:  oar-carrier-assembly1.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  294.6 KB

That's a 6-foot tall garden ladder, except that it's more like about 5' 10". The pendulum oar is about 2 inches off the ground. It's got two coats of gloss exterior latex on it. Anything above the waterline on the pendulum oar is hella strong and also hella UGLY. If it all works, I might hit the upper half of the oar with paint stripper, then add a fairing compound to prettify it. Or not.

Right now the oar is a little tight, but I'll waggle it back and forth a whole lot over the next couple of weeks and see if it eases up.

I also made these two little thingamabobs, the function of which you'll just have to wait and see!

Name:  stopper-donuts1.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  stopper-donuts2.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  122.8 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

In which we discover what the deal is with those donuts.

Today I took a deep breath and epoxied/tabbed a mess of stuff onto the fiberglass tube that I made. I bent some aluminum bits, drilled them, and threaded on the bicycle brake cable housing stops. Then I eyeballed like crazy, drilled some holes and voila, they're ON the wood block that is supposed to hold them....and pretty darned well, too. When I look through the holes in the cable stops I see the bolts/nuts where the cable will terminate. With some work with the round wood rasp and sandpaper, one of yesterdays donuts was made ready..

Everything is now aligned, epoxied and tabbed to the fiberglass tube.

Name:  carrierblock-epoxied.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  cablestop-epoxied.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  279.8 KB

...and here's one of those donuts, from yesterday...

Name:  cablestop-endplate-epoxied.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  267.6 KB

Aaaaand, the purpose of the donuts is revealed. The windvane part of the system is Done...except for some paint! All the bits and bobs are made and glued/screwed in place. I am stoked!

Name:  windvane-done1.JPG
Views: 1667
Size:  392.7 KB

Name:  windvane-done2.JPG
Views: 1732
Size:  465.7 KB

How to set the course? At the top of the green "mast" is fiberglassed one of those wood doughuts. At the bottom of the fiberglass tube that I made to fit around the "mast" is another one of the wood doughnuts. The weight of the whole assembly rests on those two doughnuts. The entire thing rotates around the mast.

How to lock the thing down, on course? Easy.

Name:  2491280master.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  13.5 KB

..and actually, if that doesn't work, I have a second option...

I am getting close! I went to Alan Steel in San Carlos yesterday to get some aluminum bits, but they were closed, I assume because of COVD-19. OK, so I'm saving money by making what I need out of wood, fiberglass, epoxy and PL Premium polyurethane.

Pendulum Oar tiller arms.

Name:  TillerArms.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  287.6 KB

The linkage "bicycle brake" cable housings have to terminate on the oar carrier somewhere, but I realized yesterday that I can't just screw some aluminum bits to the main oar carrier shaft, the angle will be wrong, which will add friction. So I inset these blocks about 1/8th of an inch into the arms and glued 'em down with a generous quantity of PL Premium. they'll get painted to match, probably tomorrow.

Name:  CableStops.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  275.3 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-29-2020 at 10:48 AM.

It seems it is getting close to the"Aha" moment for me, when the water and wind sections are connected in proximity. I am patient and can easily wait ............

All things will be obvious - eventually.

Ants

A little bit of paint, a little more fiberglass...some drilling, some aluminum bending, and all the last bits are on, to test in real wind to see if the wind vane will turn the oar. Maybe tomorrow, and for sure on Sunday, down at the Port of RWC, I'll clamp everything to a ladder, attach the cables, and we shall see!

FAIL

There was a pretty good breeze in the front yard today so I set up the entire shebang, to try it out. In the video, the cables have been disconnected, and you can see that the windvane moves very well in response to maybe 5-8 knots of breeze that wafts in from various directions. I greased the gudgeons and pintles of the pendulum oar, and it's very smooth now. But when I hooked up the bicycle cables and housing....nothing moved. A few tweaks on the pendulum oar, moving it from side to side revealed that...sadly...there's a huge amount of friction in the system. It's really stiff, way, way too stiff to work.

Now, that might be improved by using less cable and housing, and a straighter "run" to the pendulum oar, but when I have this actually on the boat, I'm going to need about as much cable and housing as I have pictured, here.

SO this is a great big flop....a $40 flop, I might add, *ouch*! though Jan Alkema linked up his with steel cable, so maybe I can use the cable, at least. If not, 12 feet of 1/8th inch dyneema is about four bucks, so I'll use that.

Hmph! Well, I've been harboring this idea for ten, twelve years, it's about time I tested it out.

Chuck Warren just donated Antipodiste to the RYC Foundation. Pretty sure it has a Navik on the stern...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Chuck Warren just donated Antipodiste to the RYC Foundation. Pretty sure it has a Navik on the stern...
    I saw her on CL for $2500. What would make sense is to just buy the whole boat.