Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

WHAT NEEDS FIXING OR CHANGING

1. The foredeck hatch leaks...either replace the hatch or remove and rebed.

2. I think the port chainplate seal needs rebedding. There was a pretty good drip right there but it might be from the toerail.

3. The tiny space between the sea hood and the companionway cover leaks like crazy. Gotta get a gasket in there.

4. Autopilot…..autopilot --sigh--

5. I need to figure out place to sleep. The saloon floor is not long enough for me to stretch out.

6. The S-2 7.9, stock is build with a tiny, almost useless head on the starboard side of the daggerboard case. Mine is really old, it stinks, and the space has a door on it, which makes the interior space so small that only an 8-year old can fit in there. It’s pointless for me and wastes valuable space in the middle of the boat. It has to go, and so does the door. I will probably put a little navigation table in there, add some drawers under the electrical panel, and use the increased floor space for my feet when I’m sleeping on the saloon floor.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Regarding point (6): I just installed a Thetford 335 in my Olson 25 last week. Although it is a little bit more expensive than the 135, the 335 includes a capacity gauge, as well as the previously-sold-separately hold down kit.

Both West Marine and Whale Point will order them for you, I got mine from Whale Point.

See PM regarding item 1 on your list.

Ants

Finally.....e-rudder deployment videos! The gunk on my knees is slime rubbed off the primary rudder. This test left big smudges of bottom paint all over the cockpit, which I had to go back and clean off.

Between this and that, pulling the primary rudder and deploying the e-rudder, in the South Bay on a quiet day took me about 17 minutes. At least 5 of those minutes were spent A.) trying to find a pair of pliars, down below, and 2.) pulling the plastic rudder bushings off of the pintles. 3.) hammering the tiller into the very tight fit between the tiller plates.

But I DID sail with it, at least for a while!

I'll be trying it again, for longer, this winter.

I popped lenses out of both of my new pairs of glasses on day two, so since I'm going to take them to For Eyes tomorrow and raise a fuss over their crummy frames, I went up to the boat to find one of the missing lenses. I didn't find the lens but what I DID find was that the wiring harnesses that hold the wires from the battery to the autopilot switch had all let go. The wiring splice was lying in bilge water...about 6 cups of it.

Short circuit, anybody? I'll save the cussing for later, but $%^&*(*&^%

Maybe the autopilot is just FINE.

I finally got all the video assembled....here you go! (for those with nothing better to do....)

https://youtu.be/tUpu2J1NLbE

I got some tubular nylon webbing and replaced the stuff on my "long" tether. That tether was about 12 years old, time to replace the stuff. I also made it about a foot shorter than the old one. So now I have two tethers...a long one, about 5 1/2 feet for "in the cockpit" and a short one, about 4 feet for going up to the mast or the foredeck. I bought 5 yards of webbing so I now have two single loop etriers to hang on the boat amidships, as well as the 3-step etrier on the port quarter and the stock boarding ladder on the starboard half of the transom. My sewing machine does not like the combination of tubular webbing, sailmaking thread and the needles I was using. It was a struggle.

Yesterday I cut out the part of the autopilot wiring splice that went underwater during my qualifier and made new splices and tested the autopilot. Yes, it's toast. So off to Raymarine it goes. I full expect that they will decline to fix or replace it, but we shall see.

This weekends project is replacing the OEM incandescent bow lights with LED. The green one died on the trip. I got both of them off yesterday, only one of the six cheapo steel screws torqued off in the hole and the new red LED one is in. The OEM green one was corroded to mush, the red one was better, but on it's last legs. Hopefully today I can get the green one installed.

Hopefully this week I can get up to Rogue Rigging with my lower lifelines and get new ones made up.

PIPER STUFF, not Transpac

I think I'll ask Ryan to make new shrouds for the Piper at the same time. The port shroud is the only one that's stranded, but all the rigging is probably circa 1972. I'll need to replace all of it, but I can at least put the stick up with the one new shroud, and if I replace one, I might as well replace it's counterpart. The only turnbuckle on the Piper that's frozen is the one on the stranded shroud, so that's rather convenient. Thanks to the generosity of some SSS'ers I have main and jib halyards, as well as a good main, and two jib sheets. Thank you again, friends!

I have a mainsail from a Pearson Ensign, which is a bit short but it more or less fits, and it was $100. I have two jibs that are about the size of the Piper genoa. What remains to get her sail-able is:

- replacing the shroud
    - running new halyards
    - sorting out the "control center", the area at the front of the cockpit and behind the mast where all the halyards and the kicking strap terminate
    - make a tiller...or find the original one, which I sanded and refinished and then it promptly disappeared.
    -remove the non-functional original winches and replace with the single-speed, self tailing winches I bought years ago for the Wildcat, but never installed.
    - repair the chipped off spooge that covered/faired the lower bronze fitting that holds the rudder
    - cut out ( have a pattern already) and 'glass in the piece of plywood that anchors the strap that transfers the mainsheet loads to the hill.

It's a significant list but really only about 4-5 LONG weekend days work. Maybe this winter I can get it done.

I'd really like to sand off all the old 70's vinyl bottom paint, all the way down to gel coat.
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-27-2020 at 11:10 AM.

I finally worked up all the numbers, now that the credit card statement is in. I actually managed to do the Qualifier within 7% of budget....I only went 7% over my estimate. That's...like...

You all know....we're talking a BOAT, here. The usual mantra is to make your estimate, then double the dollars and triple the time and that'll be close, but no. SEVEN percent.

Back is seriously screwed up after the qualifier and coming home to....yeah, well...anyway. There may be some big changes ahead. Or not. Hell if I know.

I'm working on the windvane again, back to cables-in-housing as the geometry of the pushrod system I envisioned isn't going to work out. By running the bicycle cables through the teflon housing, instead of the monofilament, I've cut friction in half, easily. I've glued on and then cut off some bits of wood, which gets me more or less back to where I was for starters. I did deploy the other, large air blade the other day. Between more power from the blade and half the friction, maybe it'll work.