Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: buy / beg / borrow a trailer

Default Wanted: buy / beg / borrow a trailer

I am in need of some wheels for my Sun Fast 3200. She's 32' and 7500lbs. The boat is in Houston and coming to the Bay.

Ideally, I'd like to buy a solid trailer.

Failing that, I would like to rent, borrow, or lease one that will get her here.

If option 2) occurs, then I become in the market for a potentially less capable trailer that would serve to get the boat back from Hawaii.

Any leads would be deeply appreciated. This has turned into a way harder process than I had imagined it would be.

In case you have not noted, there are width and height restrictions on the highways. The designation of width over 8 1/2 feet is considered oversize. The specs for your boat are 11.42 ft max beam.

The regulations may change state by state.

It may be useful to find the rules that apply. Depending on the finding, a shipping/trucking service may have advantages.

But, you're making progress toward the starting line!

It can be done, but you'd have to get permits from 4 states, meet 4 states' regulations, etc. Daytime driving only - dawn to dusk? There might be a driving license requirement, too. I'm assuming Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California. 30 or so years ago a friend wanted to do a similar tow home after the Panama Canal to Houston. He gave up & shipped the boat. I agree with Ants that checking with a licensed shipping service might be the way to go.

Check out San Diego Boat Movers. They have a "deadhead" truck coming from the Gulf Coast to California.

This is on craigslist

https://monterey.craigslist.org/tro/...989388964.html

I'm in need of a trailer short term in the next month or so, maybe we could work something out? Send me a PM

That trailer would likely fall short..... your boats base weight is 7500, plus gear, sails, etc. Have you had it weighted in full trim or otherwise? I have a similar trailer and the tires are rated at 2500lbs max. I think you need quite a beefy trailer.

Redtim--great lead, but unfortunately Solo is right; I'll need something with a bit more heft. I have to assume the boat with all the gear is approaching 8500 lbs, which means I'll need about 12k min capacity to haul the boat as the total rated weight includes the weight of the trailer, which will be 2k+ lbs.

I've done a bit of looking at the permit situation. I believe if I am under 12' wide and 13'6'' high, then the requirements are not too crazy. There are companies that, for a few hundred bucks, will pull the permits for you and hand you a route with all of the appropriate restrictions. As I understand it, most insurances won't cover that kind of towing, but I have a friend that's done a few trips back and forth with his big boat and he's already got the commercial coverage. Fortunately he is also sort-of retired and willing to help me do the move! Just a matter of finding the wheels!

I'm also interested in a trailer for an 8500lb class boat, approximately 35' length. One came up for sale on sailing anarchy but it's already sold. Interested in a partnership or rental situation to deliver my boat back from socal this summer.

Default Trailer

Ad on Craigs List. Not mine. Picture looks to be at Berkeley Marine Center.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa...027865136.html
    Tom P.

Thanks for the lead! That one turned out to be a bit light for my boat, but it was a great lead and almost happened!