Thread: Nathalie's Race: Fifth Annual Pop Up Race

Default Nathalie's Race: Fifth Annual Pop Up Race

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RACE; THIS IS NOT AN SSS RACE; ONLY ONE RULE: ONE PERSON-ONE BOAT

Hi there,

I hope that you are looking forward to a nice wine and cheese ZYC challenge this weekend.
    A last minute job and a last minute trip to France is making me miss this year's event at the last minute - however it looks like Envolee might be able to participate anyhow.

Please thank ZYC Vice Commodore Nathan Bossett who has Kindly agreed to start you off on VHF 69 on Saturday morning. In order to get most of the ebb out, I recommend to start early and have a warning at 830 and a start at 835. All signals will be on the VHF.

The start line will be between the Fort Mason buoy and the North East corner of the nearest Fort Mason building extending out toward the buoy. In doubt, just pick the corner you like and make sure you all agree on it as competitors.

You should be able to drift by the start line and out of the gate if the breeze is slow to fill in...in fact you should be able to drift all the way to the mark, just in time for the tide to turn around so it can bring you all back into the Bay...

We're prioritizing tide over wind...it just sounds more predictable.

A reminder to monitor VHF 69 so that fellow competitors can help out if you have any questions - the course is around the lightship buoy, whichever way you want, then back under the gate. We will finish right under the bridge so take your own finish time as soon as the first non removable part of your hull sails under the most western part of the bridge along its entire length...We do not recommend to sail between land and the South tower.

There is only two rules: one person per boat and you may not use your engine between warning signal and the crossing of the finish line.

Remember that on the water colregs are legal requirements...Between ZYC boats, we will use the standard RRS.

If the Coasties ask you, this is the largest most prestigious single-handed RALLY to lightship of the entire West Coast of The Americas.

Please either text me your finish time at 415 866 0976 or email it to me so I can compute the results. Also, please send me in an individual email your PHRF rating. You do not need a certificate nor a rating to participate. If you do not have a rating, but know a sister ship who has one, send it to me. If you do not have any idea at all, we'll figure something out.

Encourage others to join in. It's a fun race. We will have trophies for #1, #2 and #3.

It appears 3 boats have started the Rally to the Light. These shots from the StFYC WebCam are not very clear, but I think they show the boats headed for the Gate. Dark hull, while hulll, and a 3rd way out. Could be Surprise? Envolee? Another?

Name:  SSS #!.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  3.7 KBName:  SSS @2.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  3.9 KBName:  SSS #3.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  4.5 KB

The first boat could be Slainte, a dark green Cal 20. Fugu (a red Wilderness 30) planned to go, as did Cassiopeia (a white Islander 36). Envolee's skipper had to fly off somewhere. I'm not sure who the other white boat is. Edit: I read the e-mails more carefully and Envolee may be sailing, just not with Nat - although neither of those white boats looks like a Figaro.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Hedgehog has the AIS on.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:33.7/zoom:11

If it wasn't for a plumbing disaster that needs fixing Stink Eye would be out there too.

It appears Hedgehog is returning. I thought about it, but I'll cleaning gutters, blowing leaves off the roof, raking leaves in the yard, and getting ready for the first rain (hopefully) of the season. The trees know when to drop those leaves!

On closer look I agree that the dark hull looks like a Cal 20 and the white hull an Islander.

This photo was received from Paul aboard Slainte (the Cal 20) at about 1220.

Name:  Lightbucket.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  2.63 MB

And this photo was one of several received from Dura Mater, along with some short videos and general gloating throughout the afternoon! Apparently it was pretty nice out there.

Name:  DM Gate.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  87.9 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-23-2019 at 08:06 PM.

As noted, I got a late start and elected to complete some boat projects after a nice kite run from Mason to Blackaller, before the easterly completely glassed off.
    Sounds like I missed a pleasant day on the ocean.

DH

Default Video: 2019 ZYC Race to the Lightship

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Sounds like I missed a pleasant day on the ocean. DH
    Well, yes: https://vimeo.com/375488347

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Nice video Jackie!