Thread: insurance

Default insurance

I am in the process of buying a boat, (under contract) I am interested single hand racing. My early attempts at getting insurance with full disclosure of my potential single hand ambitions have been met with curt emails with no interest in insurance. When trying to inquire further, I get silent treatment or the same canned email about not fitting their criteria. I am beginning to think that the only way to get insurance is to not disclose any desires to single hand or race

What is everyone's insurance strategies who is participating.

If you do have insurance, please let me know the company.

Quote Originally Posted by JLNPAC View Post
    the only way to get insurance is to not disclose any desires to single hand
    ^^^ This. In fact, making an issue of singlehanding by asking the companies may jeopardize everyone else's coverage.

A likely exception: If you do the Singlehanded TransPac(ific Yacht Race) you will need to race it "self-insured."
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Oh, dear. Perhaps it is evidence of a character flaw? Similar to wanting to live near trees, which are combustible.

???

I'm the most normal person I know.

I'm with Progressive, but I know that if I venture further than X miles off th ecoast, I'm on my own...and Hawaii is out of the question.

If you're talking about Cruising insurance, you might try Pantaenius. Not that I've ever had cruising insurance.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Chris has been my agent (just for the boat) for almost 20 years.

He's a competitive sailor, has access to multiple markets and this is all he does:

Chris Boome Insurance Agency
    chris@chrisboome.com

I've been with State Farm for twelve years and two boats. I've yet to make any claims.
    Both boats had low dollar property value, and thousand dollar deductibles, but the six figure liability coverage in case of an environmental accident, so that the marinas can be co-named, and therefore lease me a slip, is what I'm paying a few hundred a year for.
    Once we're out the Gate a mile or thirty or a hundred, we're pretty much on our own.

+1 with regards to Chris Boome. He is a very knowledgeable sailor. He will ask a bunch of questions to help with finding the best fit. He’s gone to bat for me more than once to solve challenging insurance situations.

Chris Boome Insurance Agency
    chris@chrisboome.com

Tom P.

I have insurance through another agent I really like, Gowrie, but am eager to give Chris a call. I've spent a lot of time on this project and sadly have also come to the conclusion that the only way I'll ever even sort-of have insurance is to not tell them how many people are on the boat. Even so, I expect to have zero coverage during a long SH race. Does make me wonder if I might have actually been safer in my Moore 24 which I could much more easily have afforded to lose...