Thread: recommendations for marina and boat yard in Bay area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default recommendations for marina and boat yard in Bay area

Hello,
    I am gathering information to see if is a reasonable possibility to bring a boat to participate in the 2020 SHTP. So far I have a price of $14,000 to haul a 39 ft, 32-35,ooo pound boat around May 1st. I would appreciate recommendations for boatyards and marinas within about 50 miles of Alameda.
    Thank you.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    Hello,
    I am gathering information to see if is a reasonable possibility to bring a boat to participate in the 2020 SHTP. So far I have a price of $14,000 to haul a 39 ft, 32-35,ooo pound boat around May 1st. I would appreciate recommendations for boatyards and marinas within about 50 miles of Alameda.
    Thank you.
    Jim
    What are you looking to do at the yard? I hope you're not thinking that $14k is a typical haul-out charge in the SF Bay Area!

- rob/beetle

Rob, I think numbers are trucking, not bottom paint, and he is looking for a destination yard maybe?
    Am I close, Jim?

I'd call Ruben at Berkeley Marine Center. I recommissioned there after a Pacific Cup and it went well.

https://www.berkeleymarine.com/contact-us

If you'll need much work done when you arrive I'd allow extra time - most of the local yards are short of labor.

thank you. I will give him a call.
    Jim

you are correct. The $14,000 was the price quote for C and J Transport the China Doll from the Gulf Coast to California. I am looking for a local boatyard and marina to launch and put the rig in. The reason for the 50 mile radius is the assumption that the closer to San Francisco, the more it will cost. I would have sailed, but it would have taken way too long with the adverse prevailing winds on the West Coast.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimb522 View Post
    you are correct. The $14,000 was the price quote for C and J Transport the China Doll from the Gulf Coast to California. I am looking for a local boatyard and marina to launch and put the rig in. The reason for the 50 mile radius is the assumption that the closer to San Francisco, the more it will cost. I would have sailed, but it would have taken way too long with the adverse prevailing winds on the West Coast.
    Jim
    You could conceivably save some money on the transport and haul to Southern California/San Diego, this would require that you have time to then move boat north up the coast to San Francisco - that can take time while waiting for appropriate weather windows to move, particularly in the summer months. Getting from San Diego to Santa Barbara is easy, it's the next 250 miles that are the problem!

Another yard to check with would be Santa Cruz - that would be the closest yard to San Frandisco that isn't in the bay. I have no idea what their rates would be for a launch and rig step. It's easy to hop up to San Francisco from Monterey Bay. I think that Monterey also has a small boat yard (at least they have a travel lift), you might check with them also to see what they would charge.

Also check with Moss Landing Boat Yard - they may be less expensive than Santa Cruz or Monterey.

What kind of boat is China Doll?

- rob/beetle
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 12-11-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add Moss Landing Boat Yard

Rob,
    China Doll is a steel Bruce Roberts Spray 38 on which I have been working on for a couple of years. It has a somewhat oversized Gaff rig. My other concession to performance is a feathering prop. if it works out that I can finally get to the starting line, my only worry will be avoiding a DNF, or as your organizers call it, a FAD, as I don't expect impressive speed. If it were an upwind race I would find another game to play. My qualifier will be to the Dry Tortugas, 75 miles West of Key West.
    In all honesty, I am somewhat skeptical I can get it all done. But I did tell a Judge this morning that the week long, child sex offense case I am defending, which is set for trial in his court on March 9th, was going to be my swan song, as I was done and going sailing.
    Jim