Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Bilge Pumps?

Default Manual Bilge Pumps?

SSS requires, for races East of the GG bridge, a “Manual bilge pump with capacity of at least 10 gallons per minute.” Somewhat surprisingly, considering her history, the new DAZZLER does not have a manual bilge pump. So, what pump are people using to meet this requirement?
    Tom P.

East of the GGB, eg in-the-bay - the 24" & 36" models meet the 10 GPM requirement.
    DH
    Name:  P011_330_003_501_1500.25022019075929.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  102.5 KB

Or, and since Dazzler has electricity, this is what Dura Mater has in her bilge below (automatic? Yes):

Name:  bilge pump.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  87.8 KB

And, astonishingly, I replaced the old bilge pump without your help! Half the West Marine price @ Walmart.

Oh, you want electric? I have a spare. "It was working when I uninstalled it."

Name:  Bilge Pump.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  70.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Oh, you want electric? I have a spare. "It was working when I uninstalled it."
    Name:  Bilge Pump.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  70.7 KB
    That. Is utterly disgusting.

Tom, Since Wylies don't have "bilges" here's what I have (passed 2010 PacCup inspection & NCORC). A Plastimo Cockpit Bilge Pump #1038. 40.5 liters (10.6 gallons) per minute at 45 strokes. It mounts flush with the attached handle folded in, so I mounted it the cockpit with a drain out into the cockpit (open transom). The input hose goes into the head compartment with the end curled up under the porta potty platform. To use I "unfurl" the hose into the main cabin area and pump like hell in the cockpit. I haven't tested it by filling the cabin with water, but have pumped +buckets of water out. It meets the "manual cockpit with the hatch boards in" requirement and doesn't require a thru hull. Here's the 2019 NCORC wording.
    A boat shall have a permanently installed manual bilge pump of at least a 10 GPM (37.8 liter per minute) capacity and which is operable from on deck with the cabin closed with the discharge not dependent on an open hatch. Unless permanently attached to the pump, the bilge pump handle shall be securely attached to the boat in its vicinity via a lanyard or catch. A bilge pump discharge shall not be connected to a cockpit drain. The bilge pump shall not discharge into a cockpit unless that cockpit opens aft to the sea. Unsinkable multihull designs with positive buoyancy are exempted from the permanently mounted manual bilge pump requirement, but are required to carry a portable manual bilge pump of at least 10 gallons- per-minute (GPM) capacity for use in any of the hulls, and it shall be secured to the boat via a lanyard. *NCORC change

Name:  A Bilge Pump.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  16.0 KB

Or, and since Dazzler has electricity, this is what Dura Mater has in her bilge below (automatic? Yes):
    Powered pumps are great but a manual pump is what's required even if you have a powered one.

With an outboard, the "New" Dazzler probably doesn't have the juice needed for an electric pump. A.H. is right that one of the tubular pumps meets the requirement. "Nancy" is also amp handicapped (I think we're the remaining 2 outboard Wylies?) so I have a Gusher hidden in the head compartment and the Plastimo in the cockpit. Either one satisfies YRA/SSS/etc. for In-Bay races. I happen to also have 1 of those tubers since, although Wylies don't have bilges, they have water-holding compartments under the after and foreward bed platforms (for want of a better word) that don't drain.

It's sort of like my Tuna. There was a solid bulkhead between the cabin and cockpit "bilge" areas, which meant either I needed a portable pump or one inside and one outside. I opted for the portable model. When I t-boned "Carlos" on the Old Circle and punched a large hole in the bow right at the waterline, the cabin began to fill rapidly. We finally stuffed enough misc. cushions, towels, and other junk to stop most of the inflow but the water was up over the bunks by then. That portable pump didn't make a dent. The required 2-gallon bucket with 2 crew members taking turns tossing water out emptied it out, but it took time. I actually calculated if we had enough time to get to the seawall before we sank while the 2 crew members worked down in the cabin.

But any of these hand pumps are, like my old US Forest Service days mantra, is like "Peeing on a forest fire." Pull a speedo transducer out and try to keep up with the inflow. It's frightening! And tiring. My cockpit Plastimo is rated at 10.6 gallons per minute at 45 strokes per minute! I suppose the sheer fear adrenalin would work for awhile?

Thanks to all that responded to my question. And yes, the requirement is for a 10GPM MANUAL bilge pump. Although those portable “tube style” pumps satisfy the requirement, they really don’t seem very practical for a singlehander. I own two of them and have used them, as suggested, for pumping out compartments, etc..

I’ve had the Whale Gusher 10 on three previous boats and will most likely install one in the cockpit with a long hose below, so that the inlet can be moved as needed.

In my seven years of experience with my first Wyliecat, I only once had any need for a bilge pump. On that boat it seems that I had failed to properly insert the speedo thru-hull blank plug. I came to the boat after being away for about a week and immediately noted the bow down attitude. Sure enough there was about 120 gallons of saltwater, all in the bow area and not even close to the electric bilge pump. My first thought was to use the manual bilge pump mounted in the cockpit, but then I realized the inlet hose wouldn’t reach the water. I ended up using a bucket to remove most of the water, following up with a big sponge. Little harm was done other than a few destroyed “waterproof” fuse holders.

BTW, the “new” boat does have an electric bilge pump.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 12-20-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Tom P.

I have two guzzler pumps on each boat, I like them all to be the same to the deck unit is interchangeable with the bellow deck unit with one backup repair kit.