Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First things first: What to add to help with shorthanded sailing.

Name:  IMG_1050.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  955.3 KB

Just got back from a quick trip to the yard, guessing you gave phil the same advice on jam cleats? One project down!

Ha! It looks like it's riveted on - must be a Canadian thing.

It does look riveted there, but it's actually a screw.

Here's a question. How do i know if the sheaves are for wire rope or were replaced? I've seen sheaves with a sort of double radius or inner groove for the wire, with a larger radius for the rope. Is that how these would have been originally? What's on there now looks like a good fit for the line diameter.

Hull #18's (Ragtime!'s) upwind halyard sheaves were corroded aluminum with a groove for the wire. It sounds like yours have been replaced too. That's good!

Does Zaff have the stock Hall Spars? If so, be advised I have a complete boom with all its original fittings, if you need anything. It has a little crack at the vang attachment, where several of them broke. This is something else to check on yours. It was the same problem J/105's had: Vang on hard for upwind in heavy air and then a bear-away without easing it = a broken boom, always at the vang fitting. Another reason to bring those vang tails aft, and to check for corrosion inside the boom at that spot.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-27-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Went out sailing with Bob this weekend, Not only did we have a blast, but got lots of great tips! Thanks for showing me around my boat Bob! look forward to seeing everyone out there on Saturday.

Indeed, it was a blast! My first time back on a 92 since I sold Rags. Here's a photo: Dan driving and Trim timming. See you out there on Saturday.

Name:  Tim and Zaff.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  622.8 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-21-2020 at 10:14 PM.