Thread: Safety Requirements - EPIRB

Default Safety Requirements - EPIRB

In reviewing the safety requirements, I see that the EPIRB requirement (3.16.1) does not specify whether a CAT 1 or Cat 2 is required. Before I purchase one, I would like to be certain that this omission is intended. Any insight here would be greatly appreciated (BTW, there are some really good end of the year specials on the ACR Global Fix Pro EPIRB - Cabella's $399). Thank you, Steven.

That is intentional.
    Either Cat 1 (Auto Deployment) or Cat 2 (Manual) are accepted, as long as the unit meets the other requirements (406Mhz, Self-locating with internal GPS)
    DH

Is it required to carry a full EPIRB or does a PLB satisfy the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by SharkOBluegrass View Post
    Is it required to carry a full EPIRB or does a PLB satisfy the rule?
    A full EPIRB is required.
    SER 3.1.6 (circa 2018)
    A boat shall carry a 406MHz EPIRB that is properly registered to the boat. This device shall have an internal GPS (for self-location) The MMSI number for this device shall be supplied to the Race Committee. A Personal locator beacon [PLB] may also be carried and is recommended, but does not satisfy this requirement SSS Change

there are a lot of reasons for this, documented elsewhere on the forum, but it boils down to transmit duration... you just dont have enough battery juice in a PLB for it to reliably function for long enough.

DH