Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Three Bridge Fiasco

Default 2020 Three Bridge Fiasco

The Fiasco is coming up fast. What is your strategy?

Here is a site with 2020 currents at the Gate, thanks to Ed Corbett, computer science professor and sailor. Save it. You'll need it.

https://wolfweb.unr.edu/homepage/edc/tides/2020/
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-03-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Default When was the first TBF

We have been asked the question: When was the first TBF? My search has brought me to the name Ants Uiga as one of the instigators. Does anyone have contact into for Ants? Or, Ants, if you are viewing, can you help?

Ants is on the forum nowadays, I'm sure he'll see this!

How do we sign up for Race Committee? The Wildcat's haulout, a year overdue, is set for February. I can't see doing another race where I'm likely sailing 50 sec/mile slower than I oughtta be.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by DonMartin View Post
    We have been asked the question: When was the first TBF? My search has brought me to the name Ants Uiga as one of the instigators. Does anyone have contact into for Ants? Or, Ants, if you are viewing, can you help?
    I have a wonderful aid that helps me remember.

As race chair, I delegated the course responsibility to the skippers. For an unknown set of race committee procedures, I was required to be on the race deck in 1984 for the first 3BF race.

The next year, I took the helm as a skipper. My skill was recognized.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1751
Size:  1.69 MB

Whichever way the wind blows. https://forecast.saildrone.com/?lat=...&l=ecmgfs|windhttps://forecast.saildrone.com/?lat=...&l=ecmgfs|wind

Keeping my hopes up for enough wind to make it around the course.

Preparing for a long day, extra drinks, snacks, extra gas, running lights, charging the handheld VHS, foul weather gear...

Oh yea, the Alameda Marina hoist is broken again!!! Hope they don't have to rent a crane like before...

The Alameda Marina Hoist is broken again? It's like they PLAN it, just to drive everybody away.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Alameda Marina Hoist is broken again? It's like they PLAN it, just to drive everybody away.
    looking out my back door... they at least have the motor off and the boom lift for the CM tech.
    feeling kind of fortunate that I dawdled around on Saturday and let others break it, before i pulled the boat - at least now I'm stuck in the water and not out of it.

Oh yeah, I'm moving to Brickyard Cove next month.

DH

As of late yesterday afternoon the 3ton hoist has is operational again.

DH

Default Founder of the Three Bridge Fiasco

An email from Ants Uiga suggests that Brendan Huffman, # 7 of the sailors registered for the 2020 Race, may be the nephew of Jerry Huffman.

Jerry is a Singlehanded Transpacific Race recidivist from 1984, 1986 on Pacific Childe a Cal 34, then again in 1990, 1992 on Cynthia, a Wilderness 40.

Ants also attached a photograph of himself the year he had the idea for the Fiasco. Here it is:

Name:  Ants Uiga.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  131.6 KB

No life jacket. Drinking Coors. Having way too much fun and living dangerously.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    No life jacket. Drinking Coors. Having way too much fun and living dangerously.
    The only surprising thing in the photo from 40 years ago was the weather was warm enough to go without a shirt. It must have been a warm winter day.

There are few posts today of sailors without life jackets. Wearing life jackets all the time has been an increasing trend in the last decade or two. The inflatable life jackets are a relatively new item.

Back around 1980, there were fewer life jacket options. The approved versions were bulky and made movement on a sailboat less convenient. I got one from North Sails that was slimmer and less obtrusive - the down side was that the life jacket would not float you face up if you were unconscious.

Safety is good. The first seat belts were introduced in a Volvo (I think) in the mid-50's. Today's car provide all manner of protection.

Ants

PS Living dangerously - not even maybe......