Thread: Corinthian Race 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Corinthian Race 2020

Dura Mater gets her bottom cleaned every year for this, our favorite race. Last year we got five horns.

I just noticed that is also sail a small boat day at RYC. Going to be a full house...

Default Invitation from the Corinthian Yacht Club

Participants in the SSS Corinthian Race this year are invited back to the clubhouse for food and drinks. No, not free food and drinks, but we are invited as guests to partake of the Corinthian hospitality. Ask Michael Chammout. It's true! We are also invited to raft up and spend the night. Seriously! So, raise your yacht club burgees, (or borrow your friends' burgees) and stay over after the race. Remember to thank the Corinthian again for its hospitality over the years. They host us for this race and have done so for the SHTP for a long long time.

E-mail exchange this morning with Steve Katzman - Express 27 Dianne:

On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 08:48:59 AM PST, Steve Katzman <sdkatzman@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello Bob, Good crossing tacks with you during that hellish beat up the city front. I was glad to wave you across. It's the corinthian thing to do.

Any word about a boat on the rocks just east of the GGYC ?

That was Hedgehog, Dave Herrigel's boat.

Dave stopped by the club last night and told us what happened. He had just tacked out from shore and was on port, and a double-handed class boat (Express 27 or Moore) on starboard forced him to tack back in. The angles were such that he couldn't duck the boat and being singlehanded, Dave couldn't power back up quickly enough before he lost steerage and drifted into the rocks.

I had a couple incidents on that beat that could have ended the same way. Not all the double-handers were as accommodating as you, so thanks! Many of them don't understand what it takes to singlehand in those conditions or don't seem to care.

I purposely chose to make longer tacks out into the flood to reduce the port-starboard encounters, but this compromised my results on that leg. Similarly, when most of the fleet chose Raccoon Strait after rounding Southampton, I tacked and went back around the south side of Angel Island to avoid the majority of the fleet.

So what you have is the more experienced singlehanders purposely compromising their races to accommodate the large numbers of double-handers. This is pretty frustrating considering it's the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

Dave says he's done with racing against double-handers in these races, especially where they're class boats for whom the race is a season counter. I've been there too. SSS will have to change some things or it will lose the remaining single-handers who form the nucleus of the club, provide the leadership, etc.

Dave was hoping to do another Singlehanded Transpac this year, had entered the race and was well along in his preparations.

If you're willing, please pass this along to the Express 27 class. Dave doesn't know if it was an Express 27 who forced him into the rocks but given the numbers, it likely was.

Thanks again,
    Bob J.

Thanks to Bob for posting the above.
    I am willing to pass this along to my Express 27 fleet and will do so.

I have long enjoyed doing the SSS races. I do them doublehanded, with the exception of the Vallejo I. I admire singlehanders, but racing singlehanded is not my cup of tea. I love racing my Express 27 double handed in the SSS events. While racing these events it has been my pleasure to modify my racing to accomodate those racing singlehanded. I do not push the limits at mark roundings or crossings with singlehanded boats. I take more then my usual cautions to avoid confrontations and collisions.

The SSS races are some of the best offered. They offer interesting distance courses. They are priced fairly. Lots of bang for the buck. It would be a great loss to have the SSS close their racing to the E27 fleet. We can modify our behavior on the race course and prevent that loss.

My heart goes out to Dave Herrigel. I saw Hedgehog being pounded on the rocks. It was a sight from a nightmare of any boatowner. SDK

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    My heart goes out to Dave Herrigel. I saw Hedgehog being pounded on the rocks. It was a sight from a nightmare of any boatowner. SDK
    Talking with David, HEDGEHOG was on the rocks for about 20 minutes, time enough to sustain substantial damage to the stem and keel. Fortunately the rudder is undamaged. HEDGEHOG is now hauled and being prepped for repair...David feels that if he had not crash tacked back to starboard, he would have T-boned the offending starboard tack yacht amidships, as it was too close to safely bear away to duck and take its stern. In this case the starboard tacker is burdened and obligated to give HEDGEHOG sea room. Unfortunate beyond words.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-01-2020 at 03:48 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I'm really sorry to hear about Dave's boat. Tragic. The year before I did the SHTP and subsequently sold my boat, I also gave up on the in-the-Bay races, they were just too hairy and nerve wracking. Maybe I'm just getting old.

What a horrible experience, my stomach is in knots reading this. I have been put into precarious situations more times that I can recall with over aggressive doublehanders. There is a thing called "room and opportunity" that should be observed as single-handers are slower to respond in general. Hopefully it is not a total loss. As the dearly departed Joakim used to tell me...... anything composite can get rebuilt with enough time, resin, and beer.