Thread: Life vest replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Life vest replacement

My mustang inflatable is getting pretty ratty and I used my last (bloody expensive) spare recharge. I happened to be looking at an R2AK video and saw the guys wearing fixed vests (or whatever you call the ones which have foam flotation). I kinda like the idea of going this way. Pretty idiot proof and that definately applies to me.

Anyone using a fixed vest? If so, how's the comfort quotient?

Can you get one with an integrated tether harness?

If yes on harness, do you need the thigh straps? The pics I have seen don't show them.

I had on my old West Marine inflatable a couple of years ago when I deliberately swamped my skerry. That thing is HUGE when it's inflated. It made it essentially impossible to get back in the boat, though it for sure would float me for hours and keep my head above water.

In the Bay, I'm thinking that a foam-flotation, dinghy-style jacket might be better than an inflatable.

I've never seen one with a harness, thought the Mustang float-coats used to have them.

Kayaking lifejackets generally work pretty well with chest harnesses.
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-09-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I had on my old West Marine inflatable a couple of years ago when I deliberately swamped my skerry. That thing is HUGE when it's inflated. It made it essentially impossible to get back in the boat, though it for sure would float me for hours and keep my head above water.

In the Bay, I'm thinking that a foam-flotation, dinghy-style jacket might be better than an inflatable.

I've never seen one with a harness, thought the Mustang float-coats used to have them.

Kayaking lifejackets generally work pretty well with chest harnesses.
    Yes, looking around I have found a number of comfortable looking jackets but no integrated harness. I guess I'll have to select a seperate harness if I go this route. Adds some complexity, unfortunately. I wonder if thigh staps are necessary?

The only one I've found is from Salus marine.
    http://www.salusmarine.com/?products=coastal
    They don't sell them in the USA but Fogh Marine in Canada has them.
    https://www.foghboatsupplies.com

What rules does the fixed floatation PFD meet? Inshore? Offshore has certain specific requirement, does this meet that?

In a post last June, Jonathan noted that the Salus coastal had 69N of flotation. NorCalORC (OYRA etc.) requires 100N for a non-inflatable; LongPac and SHTP require 150N. Only a bulky Type 1 could get close to that. For inside the Bay I'd consider that Salus, especially if you want to clip in sometimes.

I don't trust the inflatables and would love to see a hydrid PFD developed that meets all the rules. In the meantime, somebody needs to provide some leadership, focus on this issue and adjust the rules to fit the available products. SSS used to have a safety committee that was great at dealing with this stuff, but it gave all that over to NorCalORC who then gave it all over to US Sailing. Now SSS just blindly complies (oops, semi-rant).

Regarding the need for thigh straps, I'd jump in the water with it and see if it wants to go right up over your head like the stock inflatables. If so, I'd add thigh straps.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-12-2020 at 10:18 AM.