Thread: Etriers, and getting back on board...

Default Etriers, and getting back on board...

In the Lifejacket thread we're talking about flotation, but I thought I'd address the issue of "getting back on the boat".

Once upon a time I had a Santana 3030, which has a fair bit of freeboard. I was in the slip, had just jumped in the water to scrub the keel and rudder and just on a whim, I tried to get back on the boat from the water.

No
    Bloody
    Way

It just wasn't happening.

I could haul my butt back aboard my Cal 20, when I was 40...no problem. I could most usually get myself back aboard my H-Boat, which had pretty low freeboard for a 26-foot boat. But the Santana? No way. I tried once with my Santa Cruz 27. I was older then, and heavier and it was really, really dicey. With an adrenalin rush...maybe. I KNOW that now, without the stern ladder on the back of my S2 7.9, I could not haul myself back on the boat. The tether and jackline will keep me from losing contact with the boat, but how to get back on board?

So back in the day, I made myself two etriers.

Name:  kotw-etrier-ladder-02.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  190.2 KB

I sewed mine, but by following instructions on this website: https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom...bular-webbing/

You can just tie one together.

Mountaineering shops sell them. REI has 'em. Any sailmaker or canvas shop could knock one out in an hour. You could also use a rope ladder. Rope laders aren't perfect...then again, etriers aren't, either. Something that "stands off" from the hull so it's easier to get your feet in them is better, but we're not talking about "convenience" here. We're talking about having a fighting chance of getting back on board.

I don't use mine when I'm in the Bay, but if I'm outside the Golden Gate, they are attached to the toerail, aft, with a solid s.s. carabiner. I have them lightly lashed to the stern pulpit with paracord, such that there's one bit of string hanging down that I can yank and the thing will fall into the water.

What's your plan for getting back on board?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    What's your plan for getting back on board?
    First, setting up the jacklines and tether so it's hard to fall off = close to the centerline and stopping short of the bow and stern.

Second, mostly what you proposed:
    https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...3019#post23019

Name:  LongPac Start.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  142.4 KB

Regarding PFDs for LongPac and the SHTP, a quick reading of the rules for previous races suggests that the PFD you're required to have and the PFD you're required to wear may not be the same kit.
    My observation is this is how the pros and large programs deal with it in other races. The required kit is down below and they wear their PFD of choice on deck - probably not what was intended but what's happening.

Then Philpott (I think) quoted multi-circumnavigator Jim Kellam - "The harness is so you have a place to strap on the pistol."
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-13-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Excerpted from Bob's earlier thread, linked to, above.

" As with Ragtime!, the plan includes a second, perimeter jackline (outside the stanchions) which would allow me to switch tether "legs" and slide back to the etrier."

Brilliant idea! I'll be doing this. Merci beaucoup.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

When you upgrade your old halyards, repurpose the line and build a couple rope ladders.

Like this.

Name:  IMG_2108.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  439.4 KB

Yes, they work, I got in the water and tried it.
    Tie them up with a piece of line with a slip knot and let the tail hang.
    Here is the instructional video I used.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEXt...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 02-19-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added link
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence