Thread: Old Splice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Old Splice

With no good TV on since Mash & Seinfeld, I decided to buy a line splicing kit and learn how to splice all my running rigging “to do” projects. I also wanted to learn how to make some soft shackles.

Splicing kit arrives, I grab some old sheets/halyards to practice and disaster. Even with YouTube help I can’t get the old core back through cover.

Ironically, the milk sheet thread shows up on the SSS forum. Hum? Maybe the old line practice cover has been miked so tight it can no longer be opened enough to be spliced?

A question for you Old Splicers? Is an old milked line splicerable? Or just wasting practice time on old line and need jump into the new big buck line?

I know I failed to splice with old rope but did good with new rope ...

I tried it but she didn't like the smell.

Oh, nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    With no good TV on since Mash & Seinfeld,
    Have you looked at Grace & Frankie on Netflix? Tomlin & Fonda are quite the team.
    If you haven't, start with episode one, season one. Each episode builds off the previous.
    We now return you to our regular boat talk.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

My simple suggestion is to wash the used lines before splicing - mesh bag in washer with detergent and some fabric softener to soften the braids. Removing dirt and salt makes everything easier and more pleasant to use.

Ants

Thanks Ants, even with the new line, getting the core back through the cover at the neck is going to take some practice. This is my first attempt at an eye splice for a A-Spin tack line. The outer cover that was inserted inside the core slipped back a little so the eye cover is a little puffy. It appears you really have to unmilk the cover at the neck a lot before attempting the splice. I know why we pay the riggers the big bucks now.
    Name:  IMG_2534 (1).jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  825.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    I know why we pay the riggers the big bucks now.
    Awww, Rick! That's a beautiful splice!

Maybe, but Linda had to take the dog for a walk because I had to talk to it during splicing....