Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Splice

Default Old Splice

With no good TV on since Mash & Seinfeld, I decided to buy a line splicing kit and learn how to splice all my running rigging “to do” projects. I also wanted to learn how to make some soft shackles.

Splicing kit arrives, I grab some old sheets/halyards to practice and disaster. Even with YouTube help I can’t get the old core back through cover.

Ironically, the milk sheet thread shows up on the SSS forum. Hum? Maybe the old line practice cover has been miked so tight it can no longer be opened enough to be spliced?

A question for you Old Splicers? Is an old milked line splicerable? Or just wasting practice time on old line and need jump into the new big buck line?

I know I failed to splice with old rope but did good with new rope ...

I tried it but she didn't like the smell.

Oh, nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    With no good TV on since Mash & Seinfeld,
    Have you looked at Grace & Frankie on Netflix? Tomlin & Fonda are quite the team.
    If you haven't, start with episode one, season one. Each episode builds off the previous.
    We now return you to our regular boat talk.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

My simple suggestion is to wash the used lines before splicing - mesh bag in washer with detergent and some fabric softener to soften the braids. Removing dirt and salt makes everything easier and more pleasant to use.

Ants

Thanks Ants, even with the new line, getting the core back through the cover at the neck is going to take some practice. This is my first attempt at an eye splice for a A-Spin tack line. The outer cover that was inserted inside the core slipped back a little so the eye cover is a little puffy. It appears you really have to unmilk the cover at the neck a lot before attempting the splice. I know why we pay the riggers the big bucks now.
    Name:  IMG_2534 (1).jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  825.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    I know why we pay the riggers the big bucks now.
    Awww, Rick! That's a beautiful splice!

Maybe, but Linda had to take the dog for a walk because I had to talk to it during splicing....

Two to three decades ago, there were generic direction that were applicable to three strand and ropes with cores. There were splicing tools that were seemingly universal.

With the new high modulus materials, each maker has a video that is slightly different (for seemingly identical materials). It annoys me to no end.

Brion Toss has an excellent reputation in Port Townsend where his shop is located. In addition to the Rigger's Apprentice book, Brion also sells spicing tools for pulling braids and cores. In addition, he advertises a generic splicing guide that covers various new materials. I called him up and asked what would work for my needs on the Moore 24. So, an order was placed for overall book, splicing tool, and generic guide to modern ropes. The order arrived with everything except the generic guide for modern ropes. A follow up call revealed the guide was out of print, but a new one would not be available until an update was written. Continued annoyance on new materials.

So, if anyone has experience with splicing new materials, I would certainly appreciate any tips.

As far as an eye splice in a normal double braid, keep an eye on instructions for tapering the core or cover when reinserted. There is a length that is needed for friction so the splice holds, but the rest can be tapered so it goes in better.

There are numerous splicing tools and some work better than others. The Toss splicing tool is a high end version that slips full length where splice must go, has a tapered tip to make pulling easier as well as a loop to hold the pulled material better.

It is safe to say the paid riggers use better tools so the job gets done faster.

Ants

In making splices, the core and cover can move independently. An early step is usually to tie a firm knot a couple feet away from the splice area to avoid the shifting reference point.

Splicing lines is like tying fishing flies. The first couple are more training efforts than well made results.

Keep going and pay attention to the details.