Thread: Round The Rocks is the day before Easter

Default Round The Rocks is the day before Easter

When we created this year's racing schedule, we did not notice that Saturday April 11 is the day before Easter. When this was pointed out, I wondered if this was a problem. Do we need to change the race date or should we just plan to be more careful in the future. Jim Vickers thought this is an issue that could be discussed on the forum.
    Please let me know your opinions....

...Don Martin
    Commodore SSS

Many folks have family plans for Easter Sunday/weekend.

I know we do.

It's an issue, but I was going to "work around it".
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

It's an unfortunate overlook, but changing race dates usually means creating a conflict. Here's April's Saturday line-uP. April 4 IYC Lighthip, April 11 SSS Rocks (as scheduled), April 18 OYRA Lightship, April 25 YRA Great Vallejo Race. They are all on my racing schedule. I have crew lined up, too.

What Alan and Wylieguy said... I suspect we were sandwiched /snookered into this date by the 2 Ocean races wanting an ebb start on the bookend weekends.
    DH

...yet the IYC DH Lightship and the entire OYRA season appear to be AWOL on Jibeset. Vallejo has all of five entries at this point.

Since SSS consistently puts the butts in the boats, I think we should set our preferred schedule and let the other OA's work around it.

And I'll add, design things to invigorate our dwindling group of singlehanders, since we are the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

(Only ten entries in the SHTP?)
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-25-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ...yet the IYC DH Lightship and the entire OYRA season appear to be AWOL on Jibeset. Vallejo has all of five entries. Since SSS consistently puts the butts in the boats, I think we should set our preferred schedule and let the other OA's work around it.
    You're such a heretic! Um, yeah. What he said. Lots of options for doublehanders and crewed boats, and yet here we are, the SSS: doing things right. This is the Singlehanded Sailing Society, the only discrete place left for singlehanders on the water. Let's just go sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    You're such a heretic!
    I didn't edit my post fast enough - you gotta be quick around here.

The date is not a problem by me. Keep it for this season.

Dates fine. I would bet that most people that celebrate Easter Sunday do it on Sunday. Cheers.