Thread: New to sailing, need help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New to sailing, need help

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not...

EDIT: I am not looking for advice on which way is best to learn to sail, or whether or not my plan or decisions are good or not. I'm asking specifically about the two boats mentioned below, and if you have any specific suggestions or knowledge specifically related to these models.

I am an absolute beginner with sailing, and I've never been on a boat, but I've been researching the crap out of everything for a couple of years now. We are finally about to make our first sailboat purchase, and the boat selection has been whittled down to two possible boats: a Pearson 365, and a Waquiez 32. It is a complicated scenario where we absolutely CAN NOT visit the boats before buying (I am abroad right now), but we will use a surveyor. I'm really confused between these two boats, but am leaning toward the Waquiez. The extra space of the Pearson would be nice though. The Pearson had an exhaust problem that the sellers fixed, but it needs a jib sail, and an A/C compressor. Sounds like it needs a few more things done to it, but not sure, as the pictures and everything else seem pretty great. The Waquiez is in pretty much AMAZING condition, but does not have any A/C of any kind. We plan to pick one of these up, take a few sailing lessons, and then head down to Florida (both boats are in Maryland).

Here is the WaquiezName:  00k0k_cN7xI3Kzp7d_1200x900.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  142.7 KB

And here is the Pearson: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83586

I understand that the Waquiez is a much rarer boat, and that they are of solid design, but I'm wondering how these two boats compare. Our intention is to slowly outfit it while learning to sail, and then take it down to the Caribbean, or Mexico.

Any and all information would help.

Thanks very much!
    Last edited by Meatmeepz; 03-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.