Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to sailing, need help

Default New to sailing, need help

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not...

EDIT: I am not looking for advice on which way is best to learn to sail, or whether or not my plan or decisions are good or not. I'm asking specifically about the two boats mentioned below, and if you have any specific suggestions or knowledge specifically related to these models.

I am an absolute beginner with sailing, and I've never been on a boat, but I've been researching the crap out of everything for a couple of years now. We are finally about to make our first sailboat purchase, and the boat selection has been whittled down to two possible boats: a Pearson 365, and a Waquiez 32. It is a complicated scenario where we absolutely CAN NOT visit the boats before buying (I am abroad right now), but we will use a surveyor. I'm really confused between these two boats, but am leaning toward the Waquiez. The extra space of the Pearson would be nice though. The Pearson had an exhaust problem that the sellers fixed, but it needs a jib sail, and an A/C compressor. Sounds like it needs a few more things done to it, but not sure, as the pictures and everything else seem pretty great. The Waquiez is in pretty much AMAZING condition, but does not have any A/C of any kind. We plan to pick one of these up, take a few sailing lessons, and then head down to Florida (both boats are in Maryland).

Here is the WaquiezName:  00k0k_cN7xI3Kzp7d_1200x900.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  142.7 KB

And here is the Pearson: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83586

I understand that the Waquiez is a much rarer boat, and that they are of solid design, but I'm wondering how these two boats compare. Our intention is to slowly outfit it while learning to sail, and then take it down to the Caribbean, or Mexico.

Any and all information would help.

Thanks very much!
    Last edited by Meatmeepz; 03-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.

"I've never been on a boat"

Thanks for the post. Would you buy an expensive car if you didn't know how to drive and had never been in a car?

My advice is to first take some lessons and offer to crew on some boats at a local yacht club. Air conditioning is not even in the top ten of your concerns.

Bob's advice is probably the best and friendliest advice you will get.

Once you learn to sail, you can "bare boat" charter many different types of boats, and learn what it is you like and dislike.
    Too many stories of "learn as I go" ended up being all about not learning fast enough to prevent catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "I've never been on a boat"

Thanks for the post. Would you buy an expensive car if you didn't know how to drive and had never been in a car?

My advice is to first take some lessons and offer to crew on some boats at a local yacht club. Air conditioning is not even in the top ten of your concerns.
    This is not the kind of naysayer response I am looking for. Yes, I would buy an expensive car without ever having been in one. I'd simply learn how to drive it. We are committed 100% to living aboard if we are going to be in the United States at all, and research is a valuable tool, though not in the same way experience is a valuable tool. All that being said, as I said in my post, our situation DEMANDS that we buy it without going the "buy a dingy and practice for a thousand years before moving up" route. In order to make this work, we have to use all of our funds and really work at this, and get into a boat we can both use as a live aboard and learn to sail in; we don't have funds to use sailboats as leisurely vessels on the weekends, and then go home to a house.

So what I am looking for here is a comparison between the two boats, and commentary on designs; not advice on whether or not to go through with our plan.

And then there are stories of multiple, multiple people who knew nothing, buying sailboats for 3000 dollars, fixing them up, and then circumnavigating. Respectfully, I'm not really looking for advice on the plan; just looking for recommendations and commentary on the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Bob's advice is probably the best and friendliest advice you will get.
    Except he didn't answer the question and instead gave me an alternate plan. Respectfully, not asking about how to learn to sail. I'm asking about the two boats listed above.

"research is a valuable tool, though not in the same way experience is a valuable tool"

You're hearing from people who have some experience.

Between the two, The Wauquiez is the better-built and better-sailing boat. But until you at least learn to spell it, please keep it tied to a dock so you don't hurt yourself or other people.

Depending where this thread goes from here, I may delete it. Starting to sound like a troll.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-01-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Bob, I heard nothing from you that was relevant, so I can't see how your experience is helpful for this post. You answered a question that no one asked. There have been literally hundreds of people who have learned on huge sailboats. Have you ever heard of the Vagabonde YouTube channel? Probably the most popular sailors of this generation? He learned on a 40 foot sailboat. Is that the best way to go? Maybe not, but then again, no one was talking about that. Just because you have a ton of experience doesn't mean you can comment on my particular set of circumstances which, as I said in my OP, does not allow me to "try" before buying. We are not asking about the plan; we are asking about the boats. Your experience has thus far made no comment that was relevant to my post.

Try the cruising forum on SailingAnarchy. You'll get an assortment of opinions...and "advice"