Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thread for discussion of the SSS - doublehanded / singlehanded question

Yeah, I always make SSS races a "whole weekend".... .sail up Friday, Race Saturday, sail home Sunday...... but not everybody can, or wants to do that. I get it.

I have to agree with Brian and Bob on this. Having a 15 minute discussion about "Be Nice Out There" at a meeting, which only 1/5th of the fleet attends, is kind of pointless. Polite suggestions to people who aren't even there, will not make a difference.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I like Daniel's outlook here, that we should not see this as an "us vs. them" situation. I think the thing to do here is to think of fixing the growing problem by either A.) minimizing contact on the race course, by **pick your method*... B.) making some rules changes that will .... let's go all newage talk here "De-incentivize" some folks from coming out for SSS races, or C.) talk about ways to change behavior.

I hope this discussion doesn't die down, AND I hope the Board is watching! ...if not participating

I'll also say this...if I were on a boat that somehow wound up in a situation that resulted in another boat going up on the rocks, I for damn sure would stop racing and try to help. I would respond on the available venues about it...radio, phone, web, whatever it might be. Even if I had "right of way", wouldn't matter. If a fellow competitor gets in that situation, and I'm involved somehow, I'm not going to try to duck responsibility. I find it infuriating that the two people who were on that unknown boat have not stepped up. I can't imagine that they don't know what happened.

I agree that this should not devolve into a Us vs Them discussion.

While that was my original complaint; with a few days to decompress and a bit of emotional distance I'll walk that back a tiny bit.
    Yes, the type A sailing exhibited by some is certainly part of the problem.
    And to Alan’s point above, basic seamanship would say you stop and render assistance if at all possible; at the very least my personal code of conduct would indicate owning up to your part in something like this.
    Having said that, I do acknowledge that part of the reason I wound up in the position I did I was pushing things a bit too hard; as is manifestly evident.

I don't see excluding DH boats from our events as a viable path forward, and while encouraging protests and DSQ's may well change behavior it doesn't address the core issue of congestion.
    On Saturday it was crowded enough at the start that a boat motoring past me, or rather between me and a J105, strummed my shrouds. I shit you not. And I didn't even get more than an "oops" – but that’s mostly another subject.

What we have is, I think, a high-class problem.
    As has been stated, we appear to be a victim of our own success in putting butts in boats.
    As has also been mentioned, the wider sailing world is finally realizing that what we have been leading the way on; eg that varied courses and shorthanded sailing is flat out more fun than buying sandwiches and beer for 6+ crew and sailing endless sausages (IMO; I've done both, and wouldn't necessarily swap my years sailing with a tight knit crew around laid marks- I learned a lot & made lasting friendships doing that).
    I think the spirit of the discussion should be how do we manage this success and keep things safe and fun for everyone.

OK, having said all that, it appears to me that what we are talking about is ways to manage congestion and separate the single and double handed boats.
    Separate starts and courses would be my vote at this point, also perhaps moving away from rolling 5 minute sequences to 10 minute intervals to spread things out more; these all have their own challenges, and I’m mostly thinking out loud now.
    I also agree that we should find ways to encourage more single handing... maybe have participating in at least one single handed event a bonus for your double handed season score?

OK, that's my .02, for now.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-04-2020 at 06:24 PM.

I'm all for encouraging more single handing as well, I probably do about half and half every year since I can't compete for the season standings any more. I mostly do DH because my crew loves to get out (even travels from SEA to do it) and I happen to like hanging out with the guy. But we have a poor history of encouraging DH to go SH, my personal story is that a few years ago I lost the DH season championship because 'some' complained that I had done one of the DH races SH.... Go figure... This might have been corrected now on the SSI's, but I haven't looked at the season scoring in a while.

But realize that a race with 130 SH boats will be even more problematic than a race with 100 DH and 30 SH boats.... Careful what we ask for.

I think the start sequence for the race on Saturday had the right idea, the first (albeit small) restart didn't help, but you can't plan for that. There have been some good suggestions in the thread for incremental improvements.

I agree the issue is not us vs then but maybe just some separation along the course. Blossom had some bumper cars the year I was race chair and tacking up the city front is alway tough SH against DH.

What if we keep it simple with a SH course and a DH course. Same start and finish but have the SH round the GGYC buoy and DH round Blossom for the Corinthian. SH still need to tack up the city front but hopefully out of DH traffic from Blossom.

We could also try this separation in Round the Rock, having SH course shorter by rounding Point Stuart or Red Rock with DH staying with rounding Harding and Brothers. Might have an added benefit of helping slower SH finishing....Just my two cents...Rick

Thank you all for your comments. I have received a few emails pointing me to this discussion and I have been following it. I registered for the race but did not sail because I was on RC. So, I have little first-hand knowledge of the conditions. I will open up the Awards meeting for a discussion of the issues touched upon in this thread.

Don Martin
    Commodore SSS

Now I have extra incentive to show up for this meeting!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The 3BF is just a quirky thing, people like it, we should keep doing it.

What I DO miss, and care about is the sense of community within the SSS that has been seriously diluted for many reasons. The Corinthian YC was open to us for dinner after the race on Saturday. That was announced here on the board. A few of the RC members stuck around, afterwards, but the "SSS Members for Dinner" was three people. .....but that's a little off-topic
    My experience sailing in Texas was we would trailer boats from lake to lake for regatta events, there was ALWAYS a great big party (ala great vallejo or delta ditch) saturday night afterwards... a lot of these events have a "social chair" to promote dinner/beverages afterwards. 80% stayed for at least an hour... 60% usually at least an hour after dinner.

I think I read about a possible raft-up in some of the literature leading up to the race. I think there is interest in doing that here but needs work to get out the word, and then also post photos of the post-race party where people can see it.

Wonderful idea and welcome to the SSS! Congratulations, Singlehander in Training, you have found your niche in the SSS. Dura Mater and I will come to your first post-race party with leftover July Four sparklers. Will that be Texas barbeque?
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-06-2020 at 04:13 PM.