Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Corona Virus Impact (Covid 19)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    37.205346,-121.963398
    Posts
    677

    Default Tiger Beetle Cruise Out

    I once proposed a race around the P High, "The Great Pacific High Race". This sounds very interesting. I presume we will all sea anchor out ?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    386

    Default

    That's brilliant - a "bring your own sea anchor" event. In calm conditions we could raft up for a couple of hours and barbecue, then wobble off a little ways from each other and drift for the evening. If it's bouncy then it would be into the dinghying to shuttle between boats. Most difficult part is going to be finding everyone - there's a lot of water out there and it will take time to get together.

    There's an interesting site put together to facilitate satellite email traffic among a group of boats - followingsea.net. This was recommended for the Pacific Puddle Jump 2020, and it seems to work fairly well. This setup could prove useful to the SSS TransPac for making it easier to broadcast [short] email traffic across the fleet. It could also be used for a Pacific High Cruise Out to help out boats that do not have HF-radio capability.

    - rob/beetle

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,027

    Default

    I'd only do that if I'm promised a refund if I don't find a glass fishing float.

    Seriously though, I'd rather do a coastal trip with some other boats. Maybe a harbor-hop from Bodega Bay down to the Channel Islands, with the veterans showing us newbies how to do it.

    This assumes the restrictions have been lifted, but could be planned on short notice.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Seriously though, I'd rather do a coastal trip with some other boats. Maybe a harbor-hop from Bodega Bay down to the Channel Islands, with the veterans showing us newbies how to do it.
    I would hardly call Surprise! and skipper a newbie - you've been there done that, probably have the anchor to prove it!

    I'm already down south in Channel Islands Harbor (Oxnard). For my runs along the coast I've tended towards straight shots down the coast when the weather is good and reserve the harbor hopping for waiting out bad weather and for the trip north. I keep an eye on the weather and will not leave one port unless I'm certain I can get into the next one - that holds true traveling north and south. The high quality of the weather forecasting here makes it a reasonable to avoid really bad weather provided you have time to wait for the weather to be in your favor.

    Places I enjoy are Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz if the channel hasn't silted in following a winter storm, Monterey if you take a slip (I anchored in the bay outside the harbor one trip and was rolling 30 degrees each way on the swell - don't do that again!), Morro Bay is a fun stop, and then you're around Arguello and into Southern California.

    I've not stopped at San Simeon or San Luis Obispo and have no information on those anchorages.

    My current plan is to hang out here in Oxnard while avoiding people and attending to small boat projects that I never quite took the time to do (currently I'm making no-see-um screens for the three hatches and the companionway). At some point the virus health concerns should recede and then I'd like to go explore the Channel Islands.

    There are not a lot of great overnight anchorages in the Northern Channel Islands, nothing as protected and big as Drakes Bay. San Miguel has Cuyler Cove, Santa Rosa has Johnsons Lee and Bechers Bay, Santa Cruz has the east end (though not good in an easterly), Anacapa doesn't really have any. I've only been into Cuyler Cove once and that was just for a few hours - that's one place I want to visit in good weather and spend a couple of days there if possible.

    Cliff/Rainbow is up in San Francisco and he's thinking about cruising Southern California, Lee/Morning Star is in San Diego and he's mentioned cruising the northern islands. If you're thinking about bopping down this way, let the gang know and we can figure out a fun place to explore as a group.

    It's pretty easy to spend a summer down here - lots of things to see and places to go between Santa Barbara and San Diego, plenty of snorkeling and diving, fishing, exploring the islands by kayak or dinghy, and it's a lot warmer than San Francisco!

    - rob/beetle

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Live in Phoenix, boat in San Diego
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Morning Star will remain in her slip at SGYC, and I will remain in Phoenix, so long as strict social distancing is appropriate. I had planned on sailing this past week, possibly up to Oxnard and the out to the islands, but thought better of it and came home to ride out the current situation. Brought home some boat projects I can work on here, and its all good.

    As to future adventures, the idea of a race around the East Pacific High is intriguing. The objective would be to be the first boat back under the Gate after reaching the other side of the High. The High, of course, moves and changes constantly, so the navigational challenge would be an interesting puzzle.

    The NWS radio fax titled Sfc Analysis NE Pacific (Part 1) 20N-70N 115W-175W gives the actual, not forecast, location of the High four times a day as of 00Z, 06Z, 12Z, and 18Z. Draw a line from the Golden Gate to the center of the highest point of barometric pressure as shown on the current chart, and your turning mark is any point on the eastward extension of that line -- as it lies when you get there. That is, you turn when you have put the barometric center of the high between you and the Gate.

    The total distance sailed will depend on where the center of the high is located once youve made your turn, so Im not sure how any handicap system would work. But I remember how much fun it was trying to shoot for the bottom (or top) of the High on the way back from Kauai in 2018. A race with that constantly moving target as the turning mark would be a real test of . . . . something. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Sometimes the Pacific High is west of Hawaii... closer to Japan then California... :-)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Sometimes the Pacific High is west of Hawaii... closer to Japan then California... :-)
    And then reforms 1000 miles to the East a few days later!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    37.205346,-121.963398
    Posts
    677

    Default

    As you are all aware we are going to have some decision in several days. I suspect it is either cancel the race for 2020 and start a discussion on something in 2021, or jump to 2022, or wait until the first of May to make a final call. Here are a few issues that likely all of you are aware of:

    Kauai:
    - All marine events are cancelled.
    - All inter island travel is prohibited.
    - All DOBNR offices are closed. (Dept. of Natural Resources).
    - All commercial use permits are closed. No estimate of re opening - re consideration on May 1.
    - Some boat ramps are closed.
    - Beaches are not locked down but non locals must obtain use permits daily, $5 each, and parking in the area is $50 / vehicle.
    - Rental properties are asked to rent only for essential business use.
    - Hanalei mooring permits are cancelled and are not being issued.
    - All of the above, or some of the above will undergo reconsideration on May 1.

    Add to this that large gatherings, think awards or tree meetings, are not allowed.

    SF Bay:

    - USCG is discouraging boat usage. Partially because they don't want their people to be exposed in a rescue effort.
    - All permits currently are cancelled. We have a permit pending but unless the local governments let things go back to normal it isn't likely USCG will issue the permit.
    - The CYC is currently shut down, that is our start line.

    These are a few items that will go into our decision in the next few days.

    Brian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •