Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Covid-19 Considerations

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alameda CA
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Just reporting the news, not pre-judging or opining.
    at all.

    DH

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Understood. When I read the PacCup announcement earlier today I had visions of the board immediately pulling the plug on ours.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Strictly in a non official capacity, I hope that the board waits to make a decision about cancelling the race until Hawaii makes its own decision about letting us in. Currently Hawaii’s shelter in place order extends until April 30.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Strictly in a non official capacity, I hope that the board waits to make a decision about cancelling the race until Hawaii makes its own decision about letting us in. Currently Hawaii’s shelter in place order extends until April 30.
    I want to go too. But suspect it will be June before Hawaii announces they are open for tourism. Can we all hang in there to early June before making the call? I also suspect there will be restriction on gathering sizes till there is a vaccine... not that will impact our small gatherings under Tree... I suspect July flights to Hawaii booked in June will be bargain priced...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Exactly. Should be a late decision and be based on the closure of Hawaii to visitors during the race dates.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arnold, CA
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Let's hang in there and see if things open up!

  7. #17
    pogen's Avatar
    pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    922

    Default

    I would say to not make a decision until one is forced on you, by the government, or complete lack of airline flights, etc.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Humboldt Bay
    Posts
    132

    Default

    I understand the anticipation and anxiety of the current situation for all those committed to racing the 2020 SHTP even though I don't have any skin the game. However I am a healthcare professional and have worked with COVID-19 patients and have seen how even a small number of critically ill patients can impact a hospital and its staff. There's nothing to argue about with that reality as it exists. How the healthcare system deals with a crisis such as the one we're in is a loaded thread all of its own. That being said, have any of you considered the possibility of running the SHTP in 2021 if the restrictions are not lifted by the end of June?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    2021 would be better than waiting two years as Pacific Cup is doing. Some of our southern CA participants may be involved in the LA TransPac, but otherwise going to odd years shouldn't affect much.

    There would be less conflict with the Pacific Cup too. Their double-handed division has grown a bunch in recent years. Perhaps going to odd years would enable more skippers to do both races (like Jim Q).

    And let's face it - we currently have only ten boats, assuming all make it to the line. Giving everyone another year to get ready would hopefully bring in more entries.

    I could be persuaded, (Edit) but I'm curious to know what other entered skippers are thinking.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-09-2020 at 11:07 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Another side benefit of being opposite years with the PacCup besides racers is vendors. It is always crunch time for riggers, sailmakers & boat yards with two races in the same year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •