Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Covid-19 Considerations

Given my present circumstances, with Hedgehog taken apart & in the shop (meter running and the usual schedule creep setting in), a qualifier to complete (clock spinning) & living on the dole (hopefully for the time-being), postponing a year works to my benefit.
    Naomi would say it makes my participation "not bat-shit-crazy" - another subject.
    I want to emphasize I DO NOT want my personal travails to weigh on whatever decision is taken; just stating the situation.

re when that decision needs to be taken - strictly my .02
    A. not up to me, thank god
    B. I hear the desire to put it off as long as possible, and I agree there are far fewer issues to overcome than PacCup faces, but I think there are other considerations that have not been discussed
    1. Fully 40% of the current registrations are from out of town;2 from Puget Sound, 1 from Marina Del Rey & 1 from Montana. (50% if you count Mouton Noir, but Michael can speak for himself). At a minimum these people need enough time to plan on how they are getting their boats here, or not.
    2. Relatedly, people need a chance to scale back and re-calibrate if the end of June is not happening. In some cases that may be a spending issue (pull the trigger on that last project/sail/etc?); in some cases that might be a planning issue; if you're sailing &/or qualifying from WA when do you need to leave? I my case it's more a question of how hard to push.
    The point is, pushing the decision date out works if your boat is here and in all-but-standby mode. Not so the case for all.

Just my .02
    DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 04-10-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    2021 would be better than waiting two years as Pacific Cup is doing. Some of our southern CA participants may be involved in the LA TransPac, but otherwise going to odd years shouldn't affect much.

There would be less conflict with the Pacific Cup too. Their double-handed division has grown a bunch in recent years. Perhaps going to odd years would enable more skippers to do both races (like Jim Q).

And let's face it - we currently have only ten boats, assuming all make it to the line. Giving everyone another year to get ready would hopefully bring in more entries.

I could be persuaded, (Edit) but I'm curious to know what other entered skippers are thinking.
    Do not delay or else I am going to be very badly tempted. That's my vote...save me from myself.

Latest News

"Coronavirus patients are reporting experiencing a strange buzzing sensation throughout their bodies — and doctors say it may be one of the last sensations they feel as their bodies successfully fight off the contagion.

People stricken with the deadly bug flocked to social media to discuss the unnerving feeling, with one describing it as “an electric feeling on my skin.”

I must have been in recovery in July, 2018 because this is exactly the feeling I had when I first saw the mountains of Kauai come over the horizon on the day I finished.

That's one of the reasons I'm planning to do this again - I'd like to see the mountains of Kauai come over the horizon. Both times before they were shrouded in clouds. My first sight of land was of a darker shade of cloud underneath other clouds. Then the darker shade of cloud started to look green. Not inspiring.

Another reason is that in three transits (including a PacCup), I never got a windy reach. I want my windy reach, dammit!