Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSS races during shelter in place

Back in the days of the Stand-Down Marathon (2012-13) I was being all libertarian about holding races anyway, resisting the calls for more safety gear, etc. Maybe I'm getting older and wiser (or maybe softer) but I'm having a problem with the current proposals.

First, they are being posted on the main SSS forum, giving the appearance that the SSS condones them. One proposal was to use RYC's race platform if RYC allows it, which I seriously doubt they would. Even if they did, we've created a potential problem for a club to which many of us belong, and who has been more than accommodating to the SSS over the years.

Here's an example of what may happen. My next-door neighbor at RYC was, for many years, the race chair of a club up in Puget Sound. They once forgot to pull a permit - each thought another had done it. The day came, they had a bunch of boats ready to race and they decided to run it anyway. The Coast Guard fined them $10,000. It was appealed but it took several years to resolve, and they paid a reduced fine.

With so little traffic on the Bay, a group of sailboats in close proximity to each other is going to be pretty obvious to the Coast Guard.

So if you feel compelled to organize something, would you please do it off the SSS forum? Corona Virus Challenge Cup, Farallones Sail-Around, etc. Not sure what the board wants to do about a solo-only Round-the-Rocks Race but if the SSS can get a permit, I'd be all over it.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-25-2020 at 10:39 AM.

I hear you on keeping above board with the USCG. It's be great if they allowed a singlehanded race to run.

I'm sorry to see the Round the Rock race get cancelled. I do suggest we do not try to reschedule the race. Trying to pack in all these cancelled events later in the season will likely cause more conflicts, people won't be able to make our race because of other things already on the calendar. We already have the fully crewed Vallejo "opener" moved to the weekend before the SSS V1-2, stepping on our toes a bit.

It seems Singlehanded Sailing is allowed by the Alameda County shelter in place doc:

iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.

FWIW: San Diego County and the Port of San Diego have closed San Diego Bay to recreational boating as of today. No exception for single handing.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    FWIW: San Diego County and the Port of San Diego have closed San Diego Bay to recreational boating as of today. No exception for single handing.
    Have you asked? Let me rephrase that. Do you think anyone has asked for clarification as regards singlehanded sailing? Hear me out regarding this:

On Saturday March 21 I sailed over to Angel Island from Richmond. I had checked online and the Island ferry from Tiburon was not running. People were reminded that the picnic areas were closed, the visitor center was closed, the site reminded visitors to practice social distancing.

It was a beautiful day and when I arrived there were few boats. The ranger was very nice and took my $15, told me I didn't need to display my receipt, my boat was just below his kiosk. I think he didn't expect many other boats.

I looked hopefully at the grill and asked if they were serving lattes? No. He laughed. No lattes today. Ah well.

I put my lunch in a backpack and left for a hike to the top, hiked back into the oak grove, lay in the sun, fell asleep, my usual modus operandi.

When I returned to Dura Mater the docks were full. The moorings were full. People were headed over to the picnic tables in groups and there were lots of people on lots of big beautiful power and sailboats. The ranger didn't look as happy.

The next day I looked online and Angel Island was closed as in CLOSED.

However.

Yesterday DM and I sailed past Ayala Cove and I noticed two smallish masts: sailboats at the docks, although no boats in the moorings. And here is the Angel Island site today:

"Angel Island State Park UPDATE (April 3, 2020): This park is temporarily closed to vehicular access. The park remains open for locals provided they practice safe, physical distancing of 6 feet or more and are visiting parks near their primary residences. This is not the time for a road trip to a destination park or beach."

From this change I see evidence that someone somewhere realized that a refinement might be in order.

So, a polite phone call asking for clarification would not, I think, be amiss. Or a request for modification of the order. In my sails around the bay during the past two weeks I have seen mostly singlehanders or couples out there. Maybe the order regarding recreational sailing could require sailors to prove that they live together in order to avoid a citation? It's not a crazy thought. It would give the bureaucracy the opportunity to say "yes" instead of "no".
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-04-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Have you asked?
    No. "Boating for recreational purposes" has been prohibited. Singlehanded sailing is a type of boating for recreational purposes -- or at least it is my intention to have it be such each time I cast off.

And I wouldn't ask for exemption because I would not regard it as a useful expenditure of public resources for the Harbor Police and Coast Guard to then have that to enforce -- let alone fielding the calls that would surely come in reporting sail boats on the water.
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 04-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I am NOT sailing for all the same reasons I am not pleasure riding my motorcycle in the mountains.

First, it is not an essential activity. The idea is to limit interactions and potential interactions with people. I get out for exercise, I keep it local, simple and away from clusters.

Second, I do not want to unnecessarily put a load on the current emergency services or law enforcement system. If I were to get into an auto accident, get a flat tire, fall from the boat, the people who come to my aid are needed elsewhere right now. Certainly, I do not want to take up space or time from others who are in dire need.

Third, I will greatly increase my risk of infection and possible death if I were to go the ER or hospital. It would at minimum require a 14-day isolation post visit.

Fourth, I am rather somber, but when the time comes, sailing will be all the more special again.

If you do need to head out, take extra care.
    Last edited by Submarino; 04-09-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    I am NOT sailing for all the same reasons I am not pleasure riding my motorcycle in the mountains.

First, it is not an essential activity. The idea is to limit interactions and potential interactions with people. I get out for exercise, I keep it local, simple and away from clusters.

Second, I do not want to unnecessarily put a load on the current emergency services or law enforcement system. If I were to get into an auto accident, get a flat tire, fall from the boat, the people who come to my aid are needed elsewhere right now. Certainly, I do not want to take up space or time from others who are in dire need.

Third, I will greatly increase my risk of infection and possible death if I were to go the ER or hospital. It would at minimum require a 14-day isolation post visit.

Fourth, I am rather somber, but when the time comes, sailing will be all the more special again.

If you do need to head out, take extra care.

^ First of all I respect your course and like you am doing what we can with assuming minimized risks to exposing my self and others. I do need to ask you: Will you feel the same way in 12, 18 or 24 months? A healthy individual that solo (races) sails and rides motorcycles knows inherent risks in a pursuit surely can not believe that a morbidity rate of .01 percent of the population is a risk not worth taking. The facts are this virus and it's evolution is not going away in our global interconnectivity. The likelihood you have had or will catch a form of this virus is certain. Science, history and statistics say it is unavoidable.

Something to think about while you are holed up - Those people who support recreational boating, those marine businesses who need us to use, sail and break things so we can buy good and services from them are getting rolled up into the great foreclosure coming. If we do not use and spend money on this services, the community we have known will be dead by August. My friends in the sailing and fishing charters are near the edge already with what looks like a year to a year and a half of mothballed fleets and laid off crews. Thank god you have a motorcycle (as do I) to ride as sailing will become one more thing we common, middle class sailors used to do.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-30-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

"The facts are this virus and it's evolution is not going away in our global interconnectivity. The likelihood you have had or will catch a form of this virus is certain. Science, history and statistics say it is unavoidable. "

Ted, I like you, but you know, I haven't caught SARS, yet. Some years I get flu shots and other years I don't and I haven't had the flu in over a decade. Also, writing down words like "science"..."history"...and ..."statistics"... does not invoke any particular authority, unless accompanied by a whole lot of data. Not that I'm asking for you to plaster this thread with "data", which I will not read.

" If we do not use and spend money on this services, the community we have known will be dead by August." --- While I'm sure that every marine business would love to have more business, I don't think that:

North Sails, Quantum Sails, Berkeley Marine Center, West Marine, Sausalito Yacht Harbor, KKMI, San Francisco Boat Works, Hood sails, South Beach Harbor, Fortman Marina, etc. etc. and every yacht club in the Bay Area is going to go broke on August 1st. Is this a bad situation? Yes. Yes, it is. Is it THE END OF ALL SAILING, FOREVER? No.

If you want to sail around Treasure Island, you should do that, in your extremely cool boat...and it IS a cool boat. If other people choose not to, that's their prerogative.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"