Thread: SSS races during shelter in place

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    "The facts are this virus and it's evolution is not going away in our global interconnectivity. The likelihood you have had or will catch a form of this virus is certain. Science, history and statistics say it is unavoidable. "

Ted, I like you, but you know, I haven't caught SARS, yet. Some years I get flu shots and other years I don't and I haven't had the flu in over a decade. Also, writing down words like "science"..."history"...and ..."statistics"... does not invoke any particular authority, unless accompanied by a whole lot of data. Not that I'm asking for you to plaster this thread with "data", which I will not read.

" If we do not use and spend money on this services, the community we have known will be dead by August." --- While I'm sure that every marine business would love to have more business, I don't think that:

North Sails, Quantum Sails, Berkeley Marine Center, West Marine, Sausalito Yacht Harbor, KKMI, San Francisco Boat Works, Hood sails, South Beach Harbor, Fortman Marina, etc. etc. and every yacht club in the Bay Area is going to go broke on August 1st. Is this a bad situation? Yes. Yes, it is. Is it THE END OF ALL SAILING, FOREVER? No.

If you want to sail around Treasure Island, you should do that, in your extremely cool boat...and it IS a cool boat. If other people choose not to, that's their prerogative.
    I like you too. We are on the same page with all this. I lost one of my main contractors to my small business last month to virus complications. It is personal to me. I think we do need to recognized that a season or maybe two of no competitive sailing will have an impact. The big sail makers will survive as will those boat yards that manage commercial accounts. We do not know the economic fallout and the long term effects this will have on our hobby, sport and lifestyle. I am saddened to get news emails from the Oakland yacht club cancelling events. The cancellation of the Master Mariners regatta that i am so passionate really hurts as I spend hundreds of volunteer hours each year to create, promote and market the event as well as for the Wooden Boat show at the Corinthian. My own Aeolian YC bar is dark and sadly missing. As for promotion around the island sail- i stopped promoting it here. If i could I would remove it as many found it objectionable.

I do look forward to better days when we can all get together. When that time comes, I have a very fine bottle of rum in the dry bilge waiting to be opened and shared. I'll have lemonade for those who do not drink - we can toast and cheer when these days become safer and things return to the new normal.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 05-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.