Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A corona virus challenge cup anyone?

OTA Virus Cup Challenge Treasure Island continues in May. All sailing vessels welcome!

Name:  AD3E6196-210D-471D-911A-4246608820D3.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  110.6 KB

I am again planning on sailing my boat single or doubled handed around Treasure Island in the San Francisco Bay on May 2. I am hoping that a few of you will join me in an event of solidarity and relative isolation as we rip around one of the bays most scenic islands. Please note I am wagering 1 corona beer which I will place in a cheap Styrofoam icebox on the dock (all wagers must be on the dock by 11:45) that i will cross the line first. Also come up with your own prizes to leave on the dock minding social distancing practices. (Toilet paper anyone?) The rules are you can go either clockwise or counter clockwise departing from Clipper Cove. Boats that rate at or over 150 will start at noon. Boats that rate under 150 could start at 12:15. Please show proper distance, encouraging words and the best in Corinthian spirit. Feel free to give an optional donation to your favorite organization that is fighting to save and serve our health and safety as your entrance fee.

We can sail and make a difference at the same time. Let's all be winners. Come join me on May 2.

Sail #8801, Lively Lady

Ted
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

I like the way you worded your FaceBook post: "On May 2 - Jack and I will sail around Treasure Island for the chance to take somebody’s Corona. In the months to come when we are all healthier and safer, we will want others to join us for further adventures."

Here's a boat mate sitting forlornly in the San Rafael Yacht Harbor (better known as Rotten Row).

Name:  Chico #2.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  5.60 MBName:  Chico #1.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  6.99 MB

^ Another destination to sail. In my numerous years of restoration of Lively Lady, It would have been smarter and more time on water to have bought a Hank Easom built cold molded Mull 30. Hindsight is 20/20. Pretty Penny I think is for still for sale and has an yanmar rather than my outboard. Then again - it may not be too late considering the amount of money to repower the oldest girl.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-18-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Was surprised to see this when watching youtube under the SIP. Warren Miller was kind enough to include my boat in his film Hot Yachts Cold Water from 1982. I took the clips from the clip to make the short. Funny enough I still have the blooper and the main from that season.

Last edited by Black Jack; 04-29-2020 at 10:43 AM.

[QUOTE=Black Jack;26196]Was surprised to see this when watching youtube under the SIP. Warren Miller was kind enough to include my boat in his film Hot Yachts Cold Water from 1982. I took the clips from the clip to make the short. Funny enough I still have the blooper and the main from that season.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have overlooked a bit of a scale issue in your clip. HAWKEYE was 48’ long as compared to your 3O’ Lively Lady (sail number 8801). Actually, the boat you focused on in the video is LIGHTNING (47’ and sail number 8901) built in aluminum by Theo Stephens (Stephens Marine, Stockton) and sister ship to ALPHA. Both are S&S designs. Plus, thirty foot long boats did not sail in the StFYC Big Boat Series in 1982.
    Tom P.

[QUOTE=Dazzler;26202]
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have overlooked a bit of a scale issue in your clip. HAWKEYE was 48’ long as compared to your 3O’ Lively Lady (sail number 8801). Actually, the boat you focused on in the video is LIGHTNING (47’ and sail number 8901) built in aluminum by Theo Stephens (Stephens Marine, Stockton) and sister ship to ALPHA. Both are S&S designs. Plus, thirty foot long boats did not sail in the StFYC Big Boat Series in 1982.
    DAZZLER is correct, mostly. #8901 on starboard tack is LIGHTNING, an S&S 57 footer, not 47' like ALPHA and her sister BOHEMIA. LIGHTNING and her sister EQUATION were lead mine rocket ships up the breeze, perfect for SF Bay flood tide conditions, and nearly unbeatable in the BBS.

[QUOTE=sleddog;26203]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post

DAZZLER is correct, mostly. #8901 on starboard tack is LIGHTNING, an S&S 57 footer, not 47' like ALPHA and her sister BOHEMIA. LIGHTNING and her sister EQUATION were lead mine rocket ships up the breeze, perfect for SF Bay flood tide conditions, and nearly unbeatable in the BBS.
    I am really bummed and was so excited. Miller was an idol of mine and encouraged me to pursuit my career. After all these years I finally took the time to watch the video - All I had to go on was the youtube video version taken off a poor vhs tape and a sail number. 8901 and mine 8801. My boat did win earlier in the late 60 and early 70s. It is marked on the trophy at the club.

The boats were pretty amazing for the time.

So Ted,
    How was it?
    How many boats?
    Which way around did you go?
    How long did it take? What were the conditions?
    Any groundings getting back to that cooler?
    When is the next one?
    Would you ever consider changing the name to the IPA Challenge?