Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A corona virus challenge cup anyone?

Default A corona virus challenge cup anyone?

How about a no sponsor circumnavigation fun regatta... With the float or Treasure island dock we can place a large foam box. drop one beer in box on April 4 by 1145am to join the challenge.

The course could be one time around. winner can defer or wave picking up wager as is fitting one's boldness and health.

THIS WOULD NOT BE A SANCTIONED SSS EVENT!

Name:  IMG_2095.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  1.41 MB
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-25-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Clockwise, counter, or either?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Clockwise, counter, or either?
    Either way. as long as you finish with a good corinthian spirit.

The more I think about this the better it gets.

I am planning on sailing my boat single or doubled handed around Treasure Island in the San Francisco Bay on April 4th. I am hoping that a few of you will join me in an event of solidarity and relative isolation as we rip around one of the bays most scenic islands. Please note I am wagering 1 corona beer which I will place in a cheap Styrofoam icebox on the dock (all wagers must be on the dock by 11:45) that i will cross the line first. Also come up with your own prizes to leave on the dock minding social distancing practices. (Toilet paper anyone?) The rules are you can go either clockwise or counter clockwise departing from Clipper Cove. Boats that rate at or over 150 will start at noon. Boats that rate under 150 could start at 12:15. Please show proper distance, encouraging words and the best in Corinthian spirit. Feel free to give an optional donation to your favorite organization that is fighting to save and serve our health and safety as your entrance fee.

We can sail and make a difference at the same time. Let's all be winners. Come join me on April 4th.

Sail #8801, Lively Lady

Ted

More than 5 have committed. Three from the Master Mariners where I do most of my community service.

Race for the Rolls!
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-27-2020 at 10:01 AM.

I have asked my friend Louis to make us a few t-shirts for a couple of you who come out. Supplies are limited.

Name:  OTAt-shirt.jpg
Views: 2755
Size:  132.8 KB

Boat is being prepped. Ramps in Alameda are open. There will be be a chance of rain. Wind forecasts are promising.

Name:  image0 (1).jpeg
Views: 1136
Size:  873.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 9.14.41 AM.png
Views: 1073
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 9.13.40 AM.png
Views: 989
Size:  54.8 KB

I know many of you do not know me. I was the vice commodore of the master mariners in charge of the regatta & sponsorship as well as sat on the board for many years. (i still have a hand in producing most of the materials and behind the scene of the organization).
    Some of you might even know my boat which has a proud San Francisco heritage with the best sailor of our era aboard, she is world class winner and was one of designs that changed competitive sailing. I finally am getting around to make her a bit easier to single hand.

This morning I received an email from my friends notifying us of the cancellation of the Classic Master Mariners Regatta, the oldest race on the West Coast. It is with a heavy heart that we are going to miss this event. Reading this cancellation as well as this boards rollback, the effect is staggering to those who love sailing and want to see our beloved organized events that promote our sailing passions among our friendships and community.

Until we have a solution to addressing this terrible virus we must do what we can to be wise and safe and yet have fun. The rain on the first event may put a damper on a few. Those who come out with us will be on the water, sailing as well as to*signal to others we continue live with passion and community. Tomorrow will be the first one. I will do another in the first week in May and maybe in June. Other larger personalities and our favorite organization like the SSS will begin to host their own events similar to these. Until they do, we as collective individuals can step in and use our hosted social media platforms to promote the sporting side of sailing as well as the friendships we make here and on the water without great liability or responsibility during these times of sincere shelter in place and prudent virus watch.

It does look like rain. I will be at Clipper cove at around 11. Will be monitoring channel 16 until 11am and will be switching over to channel 69 for the single and double handed circumnavigation of Treasure Island.

Have fun. Keep a fathom or more away from other vessels and people. Be safe and come back next month.

Ted Hoppe
    Alameda, CA
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-03-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Ok - there were only 2 boat out in the rain, gusts up to 20 and huge ebb. It was one of the best days of sailing in my life. Me and my teen son in gusty cool showers, eating delicious cold steak sandwiches, drinking hot coffee, talking, listening to classic rock, getting sprayed by a whale under the bridge by Delta tower while fighting the ebb and flying above 9 knots under white sails. Needless to say we won but we left the prize beers on the treasure island club dock but fortunately we took home the winning toilet paper as the trophy.

in a respect for privacy - I will not show others out there. I was happy to see them and their beautiful boat doing exactly what we live to do.

Name:  1E1E79C3-761F-4E07-8EE7-FD422C6F2EEF.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  5DB65C07-AAB6-4810-9FAD-DF03C58DF31D.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  92A62EA0-26FF-4E7F-BF03-D7224ABE04B0.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  D4C75FD2-0A23-474A-ABDD-A2A60A44CAD1.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  94.0 KB

Considering the fact they closed San Diego harbor from recreational sailing today, I am feeling good that I got to sail with my son this Spring. Many may not get that chance until summer or beyond.
    If sailing is open in May - I plan on doing another simple route sail. I hope that you will join me then or in a larger organized but safe group sailing event.

Name:  Ted Sailing Towards Bay Bridge.jpg
Views: 2511
Size:  33.2 KB