Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match racing in the bay?

Default Match racing in the bay?

Why should you go match racing? Because you love to sail single and double handed. And because you want to improve your sailing skills. And because you want to have more fun on the water than you have ever had before. In a match race, you and your crew will perfect your boat handling skills much more quickly than in a series of fleet races. In that time, you will usually do a pre-start, 2 windward legs and 2 leeward legs. In the bay we could do longer more fun sails with the city front as part of our reward for being out there.

A match race has been likened to a chess game on the water. It is a usual race between two boats over a prescribed course. There is no handicapping. Each team tries to outwit the other through superior crew work, tactics and strategy and judicious use of the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS). In a match race, you usually have only one other boat to beat and it does not matter if you win by one second or one minute. There is no second place in match racing – only a winner and losers, just as in a chess matches. Though almost all match races are sailed in identical, one-design boats, there is always major exceptions. In the America’s Cup, the boats are all designed to the America’s Cup Class rule, but each boat is slightly different than the other and speed differences are common. In the typical big money match race, the boats are basically identical and will theoretically sail at the same speed, the match is principally a test of crew work, tactics and strategy. The best crew should win the race. In more realistic working man races, with so many different boats - these traditions and rules need not apply. We race what we brung - as far as boats and equipment go, it is up to the skipper or crew.

If you are one of those who want to race or sail with others during Covid-19 issues it be without committee boats, so match boat racing may be our answer - 

I kinda like the city front to do these challenges. May 2nd may a good day to begin.

Name:  Untitled-8.gif.4ac909f59a6a22e9612093483e936291.gif
Views: 818
Size:  163.3 KB

I hope this will catch on. Let's open the conversation!
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

So we're on the same page, real match racing on the City front in May would look like this, assuming you have well-practiced crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bACo5zKuByI

Whose boats were you thinking we'd use?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    So we're on the same page, real match racing on the City front in May would look like this, assuming you have well-practiced crew:

Yikes!

Evidently you haven't been paying attention to the very real consequences of close tactical racing, in typical May slot conditions, & particularly in mixed fleets of single and double handed boats.
    With aggression encouraged, (an essential match racing component)?
    2 words -
    HELL NO.

I've seen that footage before, but had forgotten it. Hot damn!
    However, singlehanded? Nope!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Ted,
    It’s not long after April 1, but are your serious? You really need to start paying attention.

I for one, had hoped you would see the folly in your proposed race around TI/YBI with the prize a cooler full of potentially infected bottles. I was disappointed that you didn’t see any reason to call it off. Were you surprised at the lack of response? I do hope you notified SFPD that the cooler you left behind on the float wasn’t an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) so they don’t have to call out the bomb squad.

I speak from no official position, but this forum might not be the best place to present your ideas.
    Tom P.

Video gave me anxiety. It reminded me of the NASCAR saying, rubbin’ is racin’.

JD

That video made me sweat - too close for comfort!

I was thinking that many boats that fall between certain assumed ranges could sail against each other. Two boats (or more) sailing the same course is just splended and if there is a hint of assumed marked results, the better.

I am working to have my first match against another mull 30, Shadow. Shadow should be slightly faster. As with bay racing, timing, current and luck are part of a successful run. It would take a lot for me to sail to Bruce's 145 phrf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Ted,
    It’s not long after April 1, but are your serious? You really need to start paying attention.

I for one, had hoped you would see the folly in your proposed race around TI/YBI with the prize a cooler full of potentially infected bottles. I was disappointed that you didn’t see any reason to call it off. Were you surprised at the lack of response? I do hope you notified SFPD that the cooler you left behind on the float wasn’t an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) so they don’t have to call out the bomb squad.

I speak from no official position, but this forum might not be the best place to present your ideas.
    The simple white foam cooler was open with no lid, filled with seawater and soap. the beer was visible. The position of the cooler was on a private club dock which takes a key or a boat to get to it.

We can chose to live our lives anyway we chose. There are a lot of people who are afraid of the numerous things that might be or possibly happen. I and many others will not let minimized risk deter us for enjoying what we love while being inclusive for others. Obviously not having organized volunteers to put on a sailboat contest has dampened the second and third quarters of the year. Us sailors can furl up and stay home or we can do something that is the next best thing. Considering how many older solo and double-handed sailors we have here among us, there are not as many sailing seasons left as we pretend there will be.

I imagine many of the first solo racers who organized the first singlehanded Transpac were told to stay at home too. It was better level headed sailors and their friends that made this organization what it is.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-13-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    The simple white foam cooler was open with no lid, filled with seawater and soap. the beer was visible. The position of the cooler was on a private club dock which takes a key or a boat to get to it.

We can chose to live our lives anyway we chose. There are a lot of people who are afraid of the numerous things that might be or possibly happen. I and many others will not let minimized risk deter us for enjoying what we love while being inclusive for others. Obviously not having organized volunteers to put on a sailboat contest has dampened the second and third quarters of the year. Us sailors can furl up and stay home or we can do something that is the next best thing. Considering how many older solo and double-handed sailors we have here among us, there are not as many sailing seasons left as we pretend there will be.

I imagine many of the first solo racers who organized the first singlehanded Transpac were told to stay at home too. It was better level headed sailors and their friends that made this organization what it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOf-tv_YtI

Risk is a personal thing. Folks don't sail singlehanded without acknowledging that they are taking a risk. So, Imprimus-SSS folks are risk takers. OTOH, match racing seems to be about the start and penalties when played at the upper levels. The covid cup beer cooler challenge is more of an acceptable risk. Lots of possibilities that don't "up the ante" include a simple fox and hounds, or reverse start "there and back". Even other options are available with GPS, just post your track and challenge anyone to beat your time on that course.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha