Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season & SHTP Updates

Default Season & SHTP Updates

Per the SSS board meeting last night there are a few race updates to share:

Season Racing Update:
    The Singlehanded Farallones race, scheduled for May 16th, remains on calendar, subject to the May 4th lifting of the current stay at home orders and other safety considerations. The board is reconvening the week of May 4th to consider race possibilities. Attention will also be given to a possible June or July rescheduling of the postponed Round the Rocks race.

Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race Update:
    Given the gravity of the recent Covid-19 outbreak, the Singlehanded Sailing Society and registered skippers have concluded that the solo race from San Francisco’s Corinthian Yacht Club to Hanalei Bay in Kauai, with events at Nawiliwili Yacht Club, will be delayed until 2021. Factors playing heavily on the minds of the group included the need to not spread infection, the strain the pandemic has already placed on facilities in both locations, plus consideration of the risk of virus exposure to United States Coast Guard personnel in an emergency. The SSS is moving forward to offer an exciting event in 2021 for the singlehanded race to Hawaii.

Hi Randy -

Thanks for the update. Are there plans to put this information the SSS website and the SSS TransPac site?

Where did May 4th come from? I'm unaware of anything suggesting that Governor Newsom's stay-at-home Order is other than open-ended.

That's fun that SHTP will [hopefully] run in 2021. What would make it more 'exciting' than it already is? Kind of sounds like marketing run amuck on that one - the race is what is it is, does delaying it a year make it more 'exciting'?.

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Randy -

Thanks for the update. Are there plans to put this information the SSS website and the SSS TransPac site?

Where did May 4th come from? I'm unaware of anything suggesting that Governor Newsom's stay-at-home Order is other than open-ended.

That's fun that SHTP will [hopefully] run in 2021. What would make it more 'exciting' than it already is? Kind of sounds like marketing run amuck on that one - the race is what is it is, does delaying it a year make it more 'exciting'?.

- rob/beetle
    Certainly more than 10 racers will make it more exciting.

I was race chair for SSS TransPac when we had 8 boats (2002) - and that was particularly exciting in the sense that we were struggling to figure out how to break-even financially! Hint: have every person on RC commit to carry over a trophy in their check-thru airline baggage. That saved something like $800 in shipping. I vividly recall being unable to load the Orcon half-hull trophy into the sole rental car we had, there were little packing peanuts flying all over the place at Lihue as we unpacked the trophy to get it to fit into the area behind the front seats of the little bitty car I had rented. Good times!

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    I was race chair for SSS TransPac when we had 8 boats (2002) - and that was particularly exciting in the sense that we were struggling to figure out how to break-even financially! Hint: have every person on RC commit to carry over a trophy in their check-thru airline baggage. That saved something like $800 in shipping. I vividly recall being unable to load the Orcon half-hull trophy into the sole rental car we had, there were little packing peanuts flying all over the place at Lihue as we unpacked the trophy to get it to fit into the area behind the front seats of the little bitty car I had rented. Good times!

- rob/beetle
    Lol! Good onya! Recently the trophy’s have been carried by the boats in the race. I think in 2010 one boats was asked to carry them all, which hardly seems fair

I was standing there when Rob asked him. It was kinda funny. Kinda. (Hi Dave!)

Because of my history with Dave King I knew they would have gotten there. They did. I think Dave took four and some of the other big boats took some.

Capt. Leisure,
    I think you guys made the right decision, and applaud you for doing it early enough that you will not have a bunch of aggravated sailors all dressed up with nowhere to go. Now they can all put off their last minute preparations until the last minute next year.
    Jim

Hi all, so the next SHTP will be in 2021 then moving forward will it be on even years or continue on being on odd years?
    I was planning on entering the 2022 race but now it will be a race to the start line to make it next year.
    Kevin

If the SHTP goes off in 2021, it would stay on odd-numbered years. I have not seen the text of the motion on which the board voted, but odd years was the strong consensus in the on-line meeting.

PSSA's Meridian 400 and our LongPac would be in even-numbered years as qualifiers (or do your own qualifier as you can now). LA TransPac is also in odd-numbered years but draws a different crowd (and starts in So-Cal). Pacific Cup's growing double-handed divisions would no longer be in competition with the SHTP for shorthanded skippers, since it is staying on even-numbered years.