Thread: Season Races & SHTP Updates

Default Season Races & SHTP Updates

Per the SSS board meeting last night there are a few race updates to share:

Season Racing Update:
    The Singlehanded Farallones race, scheduled for May 16th, remains on calendar, subject to the May 4th lifting of the current stay at home orders and other safety considerations. The board is reconvening the week of May 4th to consider race possibilities. Attention will also be given to a possible June or July rescheduling of the postponed Round the Rocks race.

Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race Update:
    Given the gravity of the recent Covid-19 outbreak, the Singlehanded Sailing Society and registered skippers have concluded that the solo race from San Francisco’s Corinthian Yacht Club to Hanalei Bay in Kauai, with events at Nawiliwili Yacht Club, will be delayed until 2021. Factors playing heavily on the minds of the group included the need to not spread infection, the strain the pandemic has already placed on facilities in both locations, plus consideration of the risk of virus exposure to United States Coast Guard personnel in an emergency. The SSS is moving forward to offer an exciting event in 2021 for the singlehanded race to Hawaii.

As painful as that may be, it would seem the right decision given all the facts. Maybe the extra year to prepare will be welcome to many of the entrants and that is our silver lining. Stay safe and see you in Hanalei next year.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    As painful as that may be, it would seem the right decision given all the facts. Maybe the extra year to prepare will be welcome to many of the entrants and that is our silver lining. Stay safe and see you in Hanalei next year.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37
    Agreed Bill. Hope you enter again, would be fun to see you in Hanalei again.

Tough decision, but I think we all could see it coming.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Agreed Bill. Hope you enter again, would be fun to see you in Hanalei again.
    Actually I was thinking of flying over (just cancelled my reservations for this year) and helping out at the yellow house and the on the crash boat. But who knows, with another year to get the juices flowing, maybe I'll get stupid again and sail over. Hope to see you in Hanalei either way.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37