Thread: Repowering - German vs. Japanese

Default Repowering - German vs. Japanese

Well, saltwater thorougly infiltrated the innards of Feral's engine (a one-cylinder BMW MD7), ruining same. My new mechanic, who is from the Baltic, suggests that I get another BMW or Farymann engine, which can still be obtained in new condition. He says that they cost less than a Japanese engine, can be easily mounted where the old engine was, can be started with a crank, and are reliable and long-lasting if properly installed and treated right. He doubts that the position of the cranks on Japanese engines would allow me to crank-start one in the Feral. I have the impression, however, that Japanese engines (e.g., Yanmar) are a lot better and more reliable, and would be worth the extra money and trouble to install. And there are more people who know how to service them. Certainly my experience with the BMW was not good, and the General also had trouble with his BMW boat engine.

Any advice would be appreciated -- particularly if you have crank-started a one-cylinder Yanmar mounted in the deep bilge of a small full-keel boat.

Hi Tom,

Ragtime! has a Yanmar 1GM10 and I've tried to start it by hand-cranking. First I had the crank modified so it would clear the bulkhead in front of the engine. As supplied it couldn't be used.

Access around the engine is pretty good and that is necessary for hand-cranking. I sit where I can crank with my right while holding the compression release lever with my left. This works but the engine won't start until the compression lever is released, and when I let go I'm not strong enough to crank past the compression, so I've never been able to start it this way.

I've had this big Scot aboard for a couple of recent races - maybe I'll let him "give it a whirl."

Years ago we owned a little Norwegian motorsailer* with a 2 cylinder Volvo. The ONLY way you could start it was by hand-cranking and we had no trouble, so I know it is possible.

I've always heard the Volvos were better engines than the Yanmars, but that's probably up for debate. I have no experience with BMW diesels.

* All solid oak, lapstrake hull, full-sized rig - it was a sweet little boat!

Over the years WILDFLOWER had several BMW MD7 engines. I was never so happy to be rid of those oil leakers and install a Yanmar 1GM10. I think 1GM10's are still available, but Yanmar has stopped distributing them in this country, substituting the two cylinder, 14 hp.

My personal opinion is highly tilted towards Yanmar being a reliable, economical, and powerful engine, with parts readily available. However, as Bob points out, handstarting is not easy, as you need two arms and three hands in a small space.

If you do go with a bigger engine like the 1GM10, you will need a new prop also.

~sleddog

Default Volvo

After years with Perkins and Yanmar, I was a dedicated Yanmar person. Kuewa had a 20-year-old Volvo MD2B when I bought her, rusty with broken mounts. I figured I would be replacing it first thing. That was 12 years ago. I have fallen in love with the reliable, slow-turning, fuel-sipping Volvo. I will replace it with another Volvo whenever the raw water jacket eventually gives up after 32+ years of service.

Tony

Tom, sorry to hear of the demise of the BMW. I second the votes for the Yanmar, but would include the Kubota as well (Beta or Phasor do marinizing of them). Most of the modern small diesels have too small a flywheel to reasonably hand start. I had a Sabb for twenty years in our boat and hand started it regularly no problem but it was designed that way. Had massive 150# flywheel and permanent hand crank, the electric starter was an option. I have started a Yanmar 1 GM by hand but needed another hand to trip the compression release, not something usually around when singlehanding. Happy Solstice, we had six inches of snow last night, Al

happy solstice, indeed!!!

Trading in Yanmar 3GM30 (easy starter) on a dog team , and Haulback on a racing sledge to drag behind. Then go cruising on local (frozen) waters for the winter.

Frozen salmon for the dogs and pemmican for me.

Ahhhhh, life is good!!!!

Jim/and 8 dogs

Keep your tuque on Haulback! Remember, the days are getting longer now, so get your arse off the chesterfield and shovel some snow, eh? Dog

On board 'Nereida' when possible - in S.Africa just now

I seem to have got onto the Forum when everyone's gone back to their winter sleep after their Christmas/winter solstice relaxation&merriment (dog teams, indeed - give me a break, eh!!).... But I'm now getting a Yanmar when previously I had a similar-sized Volvo (Swedish, aren't they?? Although part of mine was clearly labelled Perkins!!) It seems they are both working at about the same revs (3k max, 1-2k for normal running), no chance of starting either by hand-cranking & I don't think there's a lot to choose between them - both very reliable. I was very happy with my Volvo but hear good things about Yanmar ... I'm hoping for cheaper spares for the Yanmar than Volvo.

Is it at all likely that a 30 yr-old engine can be replaced with something similar nowadays? ... What happened to technology and 'progress' in the years since?? Or are there unused, 2nd-hand, slow-revving engines lying around somewhere, waiting to be resuscitated?? I'd be interested to hear if someone disagrees with my reaction .... Maybe hand-cranking is still a possibility for a small modern engine?? (If so, how small does it have to be?)

I hope you're all warm down in Cal - it's icy cold here in Sweden - but no 6 inches of snow ...yet! Hope you're keeping snug & warmly wrapped up, Al & Jim!
    Jeanne "Nereida"

www.svnereida.com