Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Update from SSS Race Chair

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    105

    Default Update from SSS Race Chair

    As Race Chair, I wanted to provide an update to the SSS community on the prospects for the race season for the remainder of the year.

    As part of the CA-wide shelter-in-place orders, the Coast Guard cancelled all maritime recreational event permits. There have been no officially-sanctioned sailboat races since the March 16 beginning of the Bay area SIP, for the SSS or any other organization. The ability to run races now and in the future is contingent on CG approval and issuing of requisite permits. We are working closely with the CG and the YRA to get back on the water as soon as it is safe and consistent with city, county, and state regulations.

    The SSS race season breaks down into the following questions:
    1) Round The Rocks - re-schedule or cancel?
    2) SH Farallones - maintain May 16 date, re-schedule, or cancel?
    3) Drake's Bay, HMB, Vallejo - maintain current dates?

    The current plans of the SSS race committee are as follows:

    1) Round The Rocks: re-schedule for a weekend in June or July, TBD

    2) SH Farallones: we will have a go/no-go from the CG this Friday 5/8 on whether we can keep the May 16 race date. If we cannot, we hope to re-schedule ASAP on a date that meets CG approval and in coordination with the YRA.

    3) Drake's HMB, Vallejo: the hope is that these races will go off as scheduled. If not, we will re-schedule as circumstances and opportunities dictate.

    As has been previously announced, we are re-scheduling the 2020 SH Transpac for 2021. This opens up the calendar in June and July to fill in some regular season races that might have to be rescheduled due to the SIP. In general it is our intention to provide a full season of racing, albeit heavily amended from the usual schedule.

    Lastly, let me say that this is frustrating to everyone, myself included. There is no way this is going to be a normal season and we are figuring it out as we go along. I believe that we can run races safely and consistent with social distancing practices. We need to convince the CG that this is true and we are working to do so. Please be patient and we will keep you appraised of the evolving plans as we learn more.

    Best (and keep sane) - Tom Boussie, RC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    412

    Default

    I mentioned this in another thread. The PSSA is holding a race on the 9th.... wonder if they got a USCG permit?

    https://www.pssala.com/news/2020/5/1...-on-may-9-2020

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Obviously not an issue for the SH Farallones but unless something drastic changes in regarding to testing I see no way to have doublehanded entries until the state changes the orders and allows those not living together to co-mingle in small spaces. You cannot social distance on a boat and not many people race with the people they live with.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    What about RC? Seems iffy...
    I'm still wrestling with the thought of any demanding sailing right now. Probably better for your immunity in the long run but sh racing can be tough on the system post race. Don't go grocery shopping on the 17th!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    412

    Default

    I hope I'm not coming across as demanding, certainly don't want to go against the USCG if they deem it prudent to not issue a race permit. I just see a lot of people out and about enjoying all kinds of outdoor activities, risking first responders, etc. all day, everyday. I thought that singlehanding a boat would be on the low risk side. How many times has the USCG come into direct physical contact with a singlehanded sailor on a yearly basis? As for RC.... one person and a couple of video cameras rolling.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Ah, no - didn't mean you were being demanding. I support it if USCG does. For me personally the SHF is physically demanding and I don't want to compromise my immune system, that's all.
    Still, it'd be nice to get some ocean time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread. The PSSA is holding a race on the 9th.... wonder if they got a USCG permit?
    Greg: to the best of my knowledge - I've asked the question - SoCal clubs don't bother with permits. Oceanside YC (with whom I do most of my racing) certainly doesn't. I'm not sure about PSSA.

    San Diego County (which includes Oceanside) was totally locked down for boating until a couple of weeks ago. LA and Orange Counties opened a bit earlier.

    PSSA has more-or-less mandatory skippers meetings. For the May 9 race they held the meeting on Zoom. In every PSSA race I've done, there's been a rabbit start and skippers report their finish times. So SOP didn't need to be modified.

    I didn't make the May 9 race. For a Saturday start I have to leave Oceanside Thursday afternoon, go overnight and get a berth for Friday night. Apart from my own reluctance to risk virus encounters in doing this, I'm under orders to stay home until there are some medical breakthroughs.

    Max

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •