Thread: 2020 Singlehanded Farallones Race Update

Default 2020 Singlehanded Farallones Race Update

Singlehanded Farallones Race Update:

After discussions with the YRA and USCG, the SSS must postpone the upcoming Singlehanded Farallones race originally scheduled for 5/16/20. The race will not meet current Covid-19 safety guidelines from all of*the Bay Area counties, and a permit has not been issued by the USCG. *Dialogue is ongoing to reschedule in June. We will keep you posted as we learn more about the possibility of any upcoming SSS races.*

Regards,
    The SSS Board

Hi Randy, I know this is off topic but it's time I confess that every time I see your forum name "captleasure" my messed up mind sees "cattle pleasure". Don't know why and the image is kinda creepy so I've kept it to myself these many months/years. I guess that's what happens to some of us alone on the ocean too long.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37

Sad. Angry. I wonder how it came about that the CG gets the yea/nay on use of the ocean. OF course, they do have machine guns.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

I believe PSSA is racing today in SoCal.
    Last edited by solosailor; 05-10-2020 at 11:55 AM.

PSSA's Bishop Rock had six starters and Begg Rock had nine. Yesterday's Santa Barbara Island race had six starters. With fewer than ten boats they didn't need a permit, if the CG rules down there are the same as here.

If we can sort out the R/C part, we could hold solo races with fewer than ten boats. I talked to a member of the YRA board about this yesterday. If more than ten boats register, perhaps hold the races on multiple days and combine the results?

Some old-time SSS singlehanded races could be held if there is the willingness. You just have to think outside the box while staying within the local rules.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-11-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    PSSA's Bishop Rock had six starters and Begg Rock had nine. Yesterday's Santa Barbara Island race had six starters. With fewer than ten boats they didn't need a permit, if the CG rules down there are the same as here.

If we can sort out the R/C part, we could hold solo races with fewer than ten boats. I talked to a member of the YRA board about this yesterday. If more than ten boats register, perhaps hold the races on multiple days and combine the results?

Some old-time SSS singlehanded races could be held if there is the willingness. You just have to think outside the box while staying within the local rules. But if all you know or care about is keeping the status quo, there won't be any racing for a while.
    Hey all, sorry about sh farralones. Was hoping it would be the first real race of the season.

Regarding the “10 or more” Bob mentions: let me clarify that’s not a hard-and-fast rule. The related CFR (https://media.defense.gov/2018/Aug/2...IM_16751_3.PDF) just mentions “concentration” of boats in an area. The local CG office has in the past used 10 or more as a guide to say there’s a concentration of boats but that’s not a regulatory factor. If asked, I’d guess they’re going to say any organized racing is prohibited. If y’all are following strict social distancing (pretty easy in sh sailing) and the race deck is one person, then I personally think you’re ok, but I wouldn’t use this as a reason to start holding regular nine-or-less regattas.

Just my opinion, not a marine lawyer, and being on the YRA board just means I didn’t step backwards fast enough,
    bw

Thanks for the document link, Bob W. Since I'm poking the bear anyway, I'll suggest it would be easy to appeal any fine they levied for not having a permit, based on the circular references and general lack of clarity in that document.

I have the greatest appreciation and respect for the CG S&R personnel, but dealing with their event permitting folks was by far the most frustrating part of being the Race Chair.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-11-2020 at 04:43 PM.