Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2021 Qualifier

(Continued). After calming down, I called the wife and told her what happened. She basically said to relax, the motor is kaput, and to go play my guitar for a few minutes. That helped. Realizing that getting back to the dock was going to be a bit of an ordeal either way, it was decided to start the qualifier right then, and continue westward, under sail. I had autopilots, solar panels and spinnakers that needed sorting... it was a bit of a relief to not have to worry at all about the engine. I knew that thing was toast!

(Continued)
    Crawling westward in super light air, I had a chance to google “diesel runaway”. Scary videos!!! I realized that I was indeed lucky that my motor hadn’t exploded! It turns out the best way to stop a runaway diesel is to cover the air intake with either a piece of wood or a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag. Too bad I hadn’t known this earlier! Also, too bad the air intake is on the far, back side of the Yanmar...
    Luckily HULA lives on a dock that’s pretty easy to sail to, and that I’ve practiced it many times. My wife was there to help bring our 20,000 lb beast to a nice gentle stop. Just like stopping 5 Olson 30’s all at the same time!
    After tying up the boat, I had to know if the engine would start. I removed the cockpit floor to access the motor, and gave it a crank. It started right up, rpms ok, but sounded awful, all “clickety-clackety”. I immediately decided I was not going to rebuild or repair this oversized rusty motor that had tried really hard to kill me, and so with some satisfaction, I snuffed her out with a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag! That trick works really well...
    HULA will be getting an owner installed brand new Beta diesel soon.
    THE END
    Last edited by Westsail; 07-22-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Great story! Next? Before and after photos, please? And costs provide a public service announcement. It is impressive that you will be able to install it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsail View Post
    (Continued)
    Crawling westward in super light air, I had a chance to google “diesel runaway”. Scary videos!!! I realized that I was indeed lucky that my motor hadn’t exploded! It turns out the best way to stop a runaway diesel is to cover the air intake with either a piece of wood or a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag. Too bad I hadn’t known this earlier! Also, too bad the air intake is on the far, back side of the Yanmar...
    Luckily HULA lives on a dock that’s pretty easy to sail to, and that I’ve practiced it many times. My wife was there to help bring our 20,000 lb beast to a nice gentle stop. Just like stopping 5 Olson 30’s all at the same time!
    After tying up the boat, I had to know if the engine would start. I removed the cockpit floor to access the motor, and gave it a crank. It started right up, rpms ok, but sounded awful, all “clickety-clackety”. I immediately decided I was not going to rebuild or repair this oversized rusty motor that had tried really hard to kill me, and so with some satisfaction, I snuffed her out with a t-shirt in a thick plastic bag! That trick works really well...
    HULA will be getting an owner installed brand new Beta diesel soon.
    THE END
    oh goody! Another project before June!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

There appear to be three of us planning to head out for qualifiers between September 7 - September 15. If anybody else is interested, PM me.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    There appear to be three of us planning to head out for qualifiers between September 7 - September 15. . . .
    If anyone heading out has SSB they would like to try out while off shore, PM me and we can try to set up a roll call from Morning Star here in So Cal. I've replaced the mic that gave me trouble during the 2018 race and trans-back and would be happy to get in some air time before my next ocean crossing.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I feel it will be very interesting