Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Idea, just throwing this out there.

Default Crazy Idea, just throwing this out there.

Singlehanded or Doublehanded race. San Francisco, out to a turning point about 20 miles out, then turn left, next stop...Two Harbors, Santa Catalina Island...the WEST side

Name:  VC_CoastalCamping_Module3_TwoHarbors_RF_50407034_1280x640.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  91.6 KB

There's lodging in Two Harbors, not a whole heck of a lot, but some....enough for a small race committee. The west harbor is extremely sheltered. Crew for the trip back, or to sail over to the coast to get loaded onto a trailer can get to Avalon by ferry from Long Beach and then either bike, or take a shuttle or a water-shuttle to Two Harbors. Like Hanalei, Two Harbors is very low-key, and the west side is protected from the prevailing northerlies and any Santa Ana winds that might blow up. It looks like it kinda feels like Hanalei.

There. About 485 miles...maybe as much as 500. Thoughts?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Two Harbors . . . looks like it kinda feels like Hanalei.
    Having spent many nights at anchor in the former,* and a handful in the latter, it does to me.

*Clarification: by 'the former' I mean Catalina Harbor, on the west side of the isthmus (top side of the picture Alan posted), which is where I think he's saying the finish would be. Getting a mooring ball in Isthmus Cove, seen in the bottom side of the picture, is nice, but it is not like Hanalei.
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 06-12-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Attachment 5497

Anchored in Catalina Harbor ("Cat Harbor"), June 2015.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 06-12-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Anchored in Catalina Harbor ("Cat Harbor"), June 2015.
    I'd be happy to do a Rosie Ruiz and show up at Cat Harbor having skipped all the excitement down the coast. Perhaps Morning Star and Beetle could provide some sort of finish line - maybe a crepe tape strung masthead to masthead waiting for the first finisher to sail through?

Right now Beetle has received a new transmission and I'm waiting for the 'cooling unit' box to show up from ZF Hurth. Note to self: rebuild ZF Hurth transmissions on a 10 year schedule, do not wait until year 14 as that may be too late...

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Singlehanded or Doublehanded race. San Francisco, out to a turning point about 20 miles out, then turn left, next stop...Two Harbors, Santa Catalina Island...the WEST side

Name:  VC_CoastalCamping_Module3_TwoHarbors_RF_50407034_1280x640.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  91.6 KB

There's lodging in Two Harbors, not a whole heck of a lot, but some....enough for a small race committee. The west harbor is extremely sheltered. Crew for the trip back, or to sail over to the coast to get loaded onto a trailer can get to Avalon by ferry from Long Beach and then either bike, or take a shuttle or a water-shuttle to Two Harbors. Like Hanalei, Two Harbors is very low-key, and the west side is protected from the prevailing northerlies and any Santa Ana winds that might blow up. It looks like it kinda feels like Hanalei.

There. About 485 miles...maybe as much as 500. Thoughts?
    Cat Harbor in the background of the picture is delightful. For reference, under a normal summer weekend, all the mooring buoys in the foreground are filled. There is little space to anchor among the fixed moorings. Cat harbor has plenty of anchoring space.

Speaking of cats, the management of feral cats is undergoing a neuter and release policy. The last time we were there (2007), there was an abundance of cats living out their non-reproductive life. Since it has been at least one life cycle, the number of cats should be down.

The general area is a delightfully low key area, except for the Harbor Reef bar / restaurant. It may be different in covid times ( but not likely).

Ants

I like the idea Alan.

The run could be similar to the CA offshore race week that was to be held in May - a series of several coastal races including one overnight. Points added up to make a overall winner. Halfmoon bay, Santa Cruz, Morro Bay, Santa Barbara and ending at Catalina.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 06-13-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

I was thinking non-stop or maybe one-stop. The idea came up 'cause AZsailor suggested that I think about a SF to San Diego run as my SHTP qualifier. Going all the way to San Diego is bit much, so I countered with SF to Oxnard. He pointed out the commercial shipping that goes up that way, from Long Beach, so I sat down with a map and hit on Cat Harbor on Santa Catalina. I will probably do a regular old out-and-back for my qualifier but the notion of a one-stop or non-stop, mostly downwind long ocean race is intriguing.

Smaller boats could hang out for a few days after finishing and then sail over to Long Beach, haul out, and trailer it back to the Bay Area. Crew for the trip back north from Cat Harbor can get to the Isthmus via the ferry and shuttle bus, or the boat can sail over to Long Beach and pick up crew for the trip back.

I dunno....seems do-able. Since it's all within the North-South shipping lanes maybe would be better as a doublehanded event. We don't have a dedicated doublehanded long ocean race, though of course people can sail DH Pac Cup and can do the LongPac DH. I'm just thinking out-loud here...what if we limited the LongPac to Singlehanded and instituted this race as DH-only? Maybe the PSSA would get on board as a joint event? I have no idea.

I know George McKay was thinking about doing the Coastal Cup but they required a different kind of rating certificate, which would have required George to haul Skye out and make arrangements for a measuring professional, which would have cost him a grand. The certificate was good for two years, so if he wanted to do the race again, he'd have to repeat the haul and measure, though he could most likely schedule the measurement during a "regular" haulout. Anyway he balked at the cost.

Doublehanded, only..... 2022? I dunno. I, personally won't have an ocean-capable boat by then, so I'd do RC or crew if someone wanted me along.
    Last edited by AlanH; 06-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.

AZsailor, Rob....will you guys be around, summer 2022?

I was intrigued when I saw the pics from Dolphin Bill's Transback stopover in Catalina on his way to SD. It sure looked beautiful.

When I was a kid I lived in Newport. A rich pal of mine's folks had a Sephens motorboat about 40 feet or so. The friend was a rascal and every time we went over there we would row ashore and try to make contact with the girls camp which was heavily guarded. We never succeeded but the guards subjected us to some fantastic (in retrospect) "midnight in the graveyard" chases through hither and yon. Never made it to the ladies but never got caught either.

That and the clear water are all I remember. I would love to sail back there.

I used to think the trip to Catalina from Newport Harbor was a massive ocean voyage full of incredible adventures, and for a 13 year old I guess it was.

Does one need a permit or authorization to anchor? Any other rules to be aware of. I would be very interested if a decision was made to make this some kind of race, either no stop or stops. I suppose getting home is a PIA if home is SF.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 06-13-2020 at 03:32 PM.

How about a one-two? In collaboration with PSSA? Just throwing out an idea ... not signing up for execution :-)