Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy Idea, just throwing this out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    AZsailor, Rob....will you guys be around, summer 2022?
    Most likely not. I am supposed to be in French Polynesia this year, the border closures across the South Pacific ended that idea. Hopefully next year will work.

- rob/beetle

No idea what time of year you guys are thinking, but in the Summer, the wind typically shuts down at night inside the SoCal Bight. Not the best when trying to finish a long race with traffic around and you need rest. Two Harbors is busy on weekends during the Summer, but very open Oct through May.

Cat Harbor has not proven to be a popular finish point for PSSA. First, while picturesque, it does not have services and the light atmosphere of the Two Harbors side. When PSSA did have a finish there, almost no one stayed in the Harbor after finishing even for a few hours, opting to head to Emerald Bay, Two Harbors or the barn. Second, there is a lee shore issue on approach if conditions are dicey. I can tell you it's not relaxing coming in there at night. Cat Head light is often out for some reason, if it's still lit at all. PSSA finishes pretty much all it's long distance races either at West End or East End.

So, if you do it in the Summer, DH might be better for the traffic and plan to drift around at night inside the Bight. I would finish at West End and time so that you don't finish near a Friday, Sat, of Sun.

Sept., Oct., April or May would be be better months at least for the SoCal winds.

I would guess PSSA would be happy to assist in some way, but I'm not on the Board.

If we pretend that this race was on "The Calendar"...had the same equipment requirements as the LongPac and somehow magically there wasn't a conflict with another big event, would anybody be interested in doing it?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I was intrigued when I saw the pics from Dolphin Bill's Transback stopover in Catalina on his way to SD. It sure looked beautiful.
    Does one need a permit or authorization to anchor?
    My first landfall on both Transbacks was Two Harbors, Catalina. What a great place to decompress after the 25 (plus or minus) day passage from Hanalei Bay. My personal preference is the leeward side of the Island (facing the mainland) as that side has the best anchorages and incredibly clear water. Cat Harbor is one of the best natural anchorages on the California west coast but there are fish farms and moorings, and the water isn't as clear, so there are limitations. The Isthmus side is much larger (and busier) and anchoring is typically 80-100 ft (no permit required) but in my experience there are always moorings available and they can be reserved. Plus there are lots of options like Cherry Cove, Forth of July Cove and further up the coast Emerald Bay and Indian Rock with incredible snorkeling (as all the coves on this side have). There is a little store for provisioning, showers, the deck at the Coral Reef Bar, a restaurant and great hiking in every direction. It's truly paradise and I'm always amazed how many people in SoCal have never been there. If you all decide to come, you won't be disappointed

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37
    San Diego