Thread: (Another) Note from the Race Chair re the SHF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default (Another) Note from the Race Chair re the SHF

We are still on for re-starting the SSS season this Saturday with the SH Farallones race. There are currently 29 registered boats. By comparison, last year’s final tally was 34 registered boats and 31 starters.

There have been many complaints about the short notice given for the race. I can only describe the decision to go with the 6/27 date for the SHF as the least worst option available to the race committee. We had a window of opportunity and we decided to run the race while we could, fearing that the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in the Bay Area would lead to the window being closed again by the USCG and local health agencies.

We understand that the short notice has resulted in some skippers not being able to participate – either due to insufficient time to get their boats ready or to scheduling conflicts. We are truly sorry for this. This is by no means a normal season and difficult decisions have had to be made with inevitable negative consequences for some participants. Our goal continues to be to provide a full season of racing for as many boats and skippers as possible.

Fingers crossed, come Saturday we will be blowing a horn for your start and finish to this classic Bay area singlehanded race. Good luck to all entrants!

Tom Boussie
    2020 SSS Race Chair

Excellent, coherent reasoning and I appreciate your effort, Tom. Thank you!

A big thank you to a volunteer position in uncertain times. The SSS is better for the volunteer efforts.

Ants

I heard there was a meeting tonight..... from others. I never got a notice, there was no notice on how to join the meeting on the main website, forum or jibeset. I'm glad to find out that there the race isn't cancelled.

Least worst option with no notice... yeah great