Thread: 2020 SH Farallones - Preliminary Results

Default 2020 SH Farallones - Preliminary Results

The preliminary results are posted on Jibeset for the 2020 SHF race yesterday. 30 boats registered, 25 started, 20 finished. Racers: please review the preliminary results for any errors before we post the final results.

Sounds like it was a pretty good day on the ocean.

Thanks to all those that helped to get the race off: Harmon, Don and Jim navigating Jibeset, Kristen on the start, and Jackie on the finish.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Tom, It was a fine race. Vis was not great. It kept obscuring the competition so hard to tell if one went the right way or wrong way. Thanks for all the pre race and race day work to pull this off. With the virus issues going south again I thought we might get lose the permit. Thanks for the Race and thanks to Kristen for her efforts. Brian

For what it's worth the GGYC RC Radio has never sounded better from a distance. I heard Kristen booming through all the way to RYC. Maybe a ladder is the trick.

Since you mentioned the RC's VHF signal: My AIS transponder was intermittent all day and I was receiving a poor, static-filled signal from the race deck, when apparently they were strong and clear for everyone else. I suspect my antenna, splitter or cabling. Does anyone recall hearing my check-in? (I got checked in but I'm wondering how my transmission sounded.)
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-29-2020 at 09:18 AM.

I recall hearing you check in... hard to tell the transmission quality over the wind and the full power outboard, but I copied it somewhere around Pt Blunt.
    I was shocked to clearly hear the RC acknowledge a retirement/back in the bay when I was about 3nm NE of the rocks... not sure if that was from this set up, or Tom's nav station on his yacht, but still surprising.
    DH

Bob,

Your check in and finish hails over VHF were fine. As for AIS, I was following the boats with transponders, both on my AIS receiver (masthead VHF antenna), as well as online (marinetraffic.com). Both Surprise and Galaxsea dropped off for significant periods of time throughout the day. Galaxsea was AWOL for 4+ hours, enough for me to get worried about his status. Surprise went in and out, max 1 hr drop off. Other boats were solid (including Hedgehog). Not sure what this means or what you should do about it, but good real-world feedback.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I installed the Vesper AIS on the back of a door below the nav table and I leave that door open when it's turned on. I can look below and see whether it's transmitting (green light) or not (orange light). It appeared to be about 50/50 throughout the day. I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Glad to know the VHF signal was solid.

I believe the Vesper has SWR meter built in. That will tell you if the antenna and coax to it are ok. The other thing that would stop it transmitting is if it doesn’t have a position it’s happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Thanks Tom. I installed the Vesper AIS on the back of a door below the nav table and I leave that door open when it's turned on. I can look below and see whether it's transmitting (green light) or not (orange light). It appeared to be about 50/50 throughout the day. I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Glad to know the VHF signal was solid.

Hi Bob, I have an antenna analysis tool that can check out your antenna set up, if you fear that is the issue. It can sweep all the frequencies your various VHF radios use and indicate a bad setup from the cockpit to the mast. I get up that way on occasion.
    Brian