Thread: Mast Oxidation

Default Mast Oxidation

While adding a VHF antenna and other off shore NorCal gear at home the oxidation on KH mast became very obvious. I used a can of “corrosion block” which helped a lot but I fear it is like the Armor you use on your car that does not last very long.

I really do not want to strip and redcoat the mast but with a mast that can be easily lowered I am looking for a product I can use to maintain and hold the oxidation at bay. Any advice would be appreciated....Thanks...Rick. . Name:  DD368921-27C5-46C3-9466-F6EE51C21ACA.jpeg
Views: 413
Size:  1.13 MB

I'm not sure that it's a structural problem. I have in mind some severely oxidized, actually partially corroded aluminum masts I've seen for years on 60's and early 70's vintage boats; Santana 22's, Cal 20's, Cal 25's and so on. They look like the dickens but they're still standing.

I suspect that paint might be the only option, but what do I know?.
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-01-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Would you be interested in calling Ballenger Spars to see how much to re-anodize?

Actually it has been two weeks since the wipe down cleaning. It has been sitting in hot sun with a little rain up here in Granite Bay and still looking OK. I am beginning to think it was more dried on fog/scum or what ever coats the boats at RYC dry yard than oxidation under the clear coat. For now I am going to monitor and try to keep clean....Thanks...Rick