Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSS Race Committee update on rescheduled SH Farallones and Round The Rocks races

Default SSS Race Committee update on rescheduled SH Farallones and Round The Rocks races

Two updates from the SSS 2020 season race committee:

1) We have tentative approval from the USCG to run the rescheduled 2020 Singlehanded Farallones race on Saturday June 27th. Please note that we do not yet have final approval, but we wanted to give skippers as much time ahead of the race as possible to allow for boat preparations and compliance with safety requirements. We will share final USCG approval as soon as it is confirmed.

2) We are currently planning to run the rescheduled 2020 Round The Rocks race on Saturday July 11th. We will confirm this date at the earliest possible opportunity.

An updated 2020 season NOR will be posted to the SSS website detailing the revised schedule and providing guidance regarding relevant social distancing practices.

There should be only a few changes to the standard SH Farallones SIs, most notably the requirement for skippers to record their own finish times as a back-up to the race committee record. We are planning a Zoom-based skipper’s meeting on Wednesday June 24th at 7:00 PM to review the SHF SIs and to answer any questions. Log-in details will be published on the SSS Forum and on Jibeset.

Depending on the relevant social distancing regulations in place in mid-July, there may be more substantive changes to the standard Round The Rocks SIs, designed to enable appropriate social distancing for the race committee. We endeavor to share these modifications to the standard racing format as soon as possible.

Less than ONE WEEK NOTICE (no email notice to racers yet) is simply not enough time for most to plan, prep or change their schedule and yet it's still only a maybe?? And another race within 2 weeks with less than 3 weeks notice. I know the SSS is trying to make up race dates but I say move the Farallones to the July 11 date. Move the Round the Rocks date again with proper notice.
    Last edited by solosailor; 06-20-2020 at 07:36 AM.

We're singlehanders - we're adaptable, right? Thanks for staying after it, Tom.

Here's the current gear list.

I'll stop by storage on my way to the boat and see if I can pull it together.

I'm pleased that we're moving forward. Thank you!

Hi - Slight clarifications:
    The skippers meeting for the SHF will be on Thursday 6/25 @7pm and the new Around the Rocks race date will likely be late July/early August.
    More to follow.

Thanks,
    Randy

I'm with solosailor , really really short notice and out of order
    P

I just sent out the formal PDF to a list of 215 past SSS racers. Hopefully this is received in short order.
    Brian

Now the skippers meeting is "mandatory"??? What about those that don't have or use Zoom. If you are going to make it mandatory use a voice conference so people can call in and don't have to install software to make the meeting.

Clarification may be needed here - Brian's Jibeset note says "mandatory" but the SI's don't include that word. You can install Zoom when you link to the meeting - not a big deal.

Surprise! is ready and even went for a long sail yesterday, twice crossing a very windy Slot. The clevis pin that holds the headboard to the top Battcar fell out - does anyone near Richmond have a 3/8" x 13/16" (bearing surface) clevis pin in their rigging box? The size sounds weird but apparently it's a standard size - just not standard enough for West Marine. I'll check w/KKMI.

Anyway, some flexibility may be required to get a race to the stinky rocks off on Saturday, but it will be cool if it happens.

I just sent a clarification. The written doc does not say mandatory, so the meeting is not. Also, the deadline is extended one day to Thursday.

Good luck to all on the water.

BB