Thread: I got schooled

Default I got schooled

Decided to head up to my Son's place in Bremerton with objective of hiking PCT from trailhead at Harts Pass to Canadian border and back. Got up there without touching anything. did all fueling in Oregon, cheap gas and you havent got to get out of the car.

Son and his Wife have been disciplined about distancing, crowds and parties. All good. Stayed with them one day and headed for the mountains. However, my little granddaughter developed a cold while I was there. Uh oh.

I started feeling sick second day camping. Fortunately still at base camp in Methow Valley pending my PCT permit start date. No way I am heading into the wilderness... sick...in current circumstances. Drove back to Bremerton and got Covid 19 test, rested a day and headed home. Test is still pending.

So how is this relevant to the SSS?

Now I am in quarantine aboard Jacqueline. The real Jacqueline gave me the boot.

So, I just wanted to mention that a boat set up for singlehanding is also perfect for quarantining and, in retrospect, staying home would have been the right thing to do. I am feeling fine now but sweating out the test results literally and figuratively. It's hot out here. I was thinking maybe I could head up to Benicia where it's cooler. On second thought...

That situation is the new reality. Hard to tell whether to laugh or sigh.

Hopefully, you will feel well so the quarantine period can be a fun sailing time (with a negative test result).

Good cheer!

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    So how is this relevant to the SSS? Now I am in quarantine aboard Jacqueline. The real Jacqueline gave me the boot. It's hot out here. I was thinking maybe I could head up to Benicia where it's cooler. On second thought...
    You are a riot! Hot aboard Jacqueline tied up to your beautifully redone deck in Disco Bay? I'll bet it's hot! And hotter tomorrow!

While I was in Owl Harbor Rob T was bragging about the water-cooled air conditioner he had installed on Gazelle. He might have some advice for you?

This worked with Brian, let's see if it works for you: "Paging Dr Tryon, STAT!"

Fingers crossed for a negative test result and a quick return to feeling healthy. Hang in there, Mike.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    It's hot out here. I was thinking maybe I could head up to Benicia where it's cooler.
    The mylar silver backed rip stop emergency blankets from REI, make for some superior shade, coupled with a hatch scoop...

https://www.rei.com/product/130426/s...season-blanket

Waiting on results is no fun. I waited 6 days, but when it came back "not detected" I was over the moon.

Wishing you similar results.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    The mylar silver backed rip stop emergency blankets from REI, make for some superior shade, coupled with a hatch scoop...

https://www.rei.com/product/130426/s...season-blanket

Waiting on results is no fun. I waited 6 days, but when it came back "not detected" I was over the moon.

Wishing you similar results.
    negative baby!!!

Time to.....not party.:-)

i am gonna check out the REI material. Thanks for the tip.

Btw, kaiser turned the test in 18 hrs but because it was Wa. kaiser the report to me was delayed cause various kaisers dont talk to each other. Cuss word deleted,

Those emergency blankets are the bomb. I still carry one backpacking. Negatory!!! fist pump
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Fingers crossed for a negative test result and a quick return to feeling healthy. Hang in there, Mike.
    Lee, Thanks for the support. All good.

Oddly enough the last time I got really sick with a cold was just after the start of the 18 SHTP. Started feeling bad about the same time as we found wind offshore on day two. I was popping tylenol in massive amounts for three days.

But, man, were those glorious windy days!! and we had some sun too. It was such a relief after the 2016 float fest around the Farallons (at least for heavy boats like mine) I forgot about the cold for awhile.

I discovered what I now call the "windy reach nook" aboard Jacqueline. I have a bulkhead starboard of the companionway leading to my little aft cabin. I can stand on the cabin sole and lean back against that bulkhead which, in 25/30 Kts and a third reef has a really comfortable slope too it. A fixed port in that area gives me a nice view to weather. Perfect dry place to hang out, recover and watch the world go by.

I miss that time...a lot.