Thread: Drakes bay race

Default Drakes bay race

Hi folks;
    What’s the current thinking about the drake’s bay race?

Isn't that OYRA?....not an SSS race.

However, your post got me to thinking that Drakes Bay might be a good place to head to the 3rd weekend in October, sort of as a season-ending long cruise.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

It’s a joint YRA-SSS race; it’s cancelled for YRA but still on SSS schedule at http://sfbaysss.org/main/, not showing postponed yet.

OYRA and SSS have raced together to Drake's Bay for the last 6-7 years.

Not sure if that will happen this year, since OYRA was not able to start their season. I haven't heard anything.

There’s no way to do a crewed race to drakes bay this year; single or double would still be possible I think.

to close the loop here; the OYRA is definitely not doing drake's bay this year and the park service has closed off access to the old CG dock, so any finish/start line committee work would have to be on the water or self-managed, but that's pretty straightforward. Someone needs to contact Laura for a permit; just need the usual info about crews, etc for cg info, and a way to track boats while on the water--that can be done by text. I know there's folks interested in doing this SH or DH.

My favorite race outside the gate because of the destination and chance to sleep on the water! I hope it happens!!

Just goes to show out of touch I am with racing outside the Gate'
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The race is planned to go forward. It will likely require each racer recording their own finish time at Drakes Bay. The Sunday start will likely be with a rabbit boat. Note that the last two statements are not complete certainties. Details may vary a bit, but it is planned to proceed. One of the challenges is that apparently the road out to DB is closed so there is at present no means of putting a shore person on watch to do finishes, and there is no available boat as of this date that can be used in Drakes Bay as a start line/finish line vessel. Hence the need for self finishing. Keep tuned to the forum, also likely an email blast will be sent via the racers addresses in Jibeset.
    Brian