Thread: Staying warm

Default Staying warm

Most of us have no cabin heaters. Has anyone tried ways to stay warm?
    I've read about using a hot water bottle in the sleeping bag. I'm not a fan as this requires fuel.
    There are 12V heating blankets and pads. Since I may generate more electricity than I need this could work.
    Any other suggestions or tried solutions to stay warm when it's really cold (close to freezing).

You've heard this before: What Would Randall Do?

Moli is very stable. I recall Randall saying something about how, while handling his boat in freezing conditions, he had to just forget about turning on his diesel heater and accept the fact that he would remain very cold:

https://vimeo.com/381922907

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    accept the fact that he would remain very cold
    I am big guy, losing a lot of heat easily. I can't just tough it out like that. Once cold getting warm again is where the struggle is. Hence I'm looking for something to make the job easier.

"There is no such thing as bad weather; only bad clothing."

Aside from layers and high calories and hot beverages, (oh my!), on alcohol and propane stoves, I like to invert a terracotta flower pot over a burner, that can then be held on with fiddles.
    An old salt once told me that by dipping the pot in seawater, I'd get a more humid heat, I've yet to try that, but I do like to spread the heat around with a small battery powered fan. I keep the flower pot in tupperware labeled "amplified heat".
    There are the disposable hand, toe, etc. warmers, as well as the more permanent hand warmers using fuel sticks, you might look at?
    We also occasionally use a small Coleman catalytic heater that runs on propane. I close off the aft and forward cabins to just heat the main cabin and head.

Much much easier to stay warm, than to get warm.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Hi PJ,

Some suggestions that work for me.

-Put on some body fat

-Progressively acclimate your sleep to "thin blankets and open window" until you are just sleeping with a thin sheet.

-wear a onesie like this suit https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/p...it-base-layer/. Has a nice two way zipper and stretchy material makes #1 easy.

-Keep your hair longer and consider keeping a beard.

-always have a thermas of warm liquid on board

-easily removable thin layers to reduce overheating sweats and resulting cool/cold down.

-away from boat, acclimate by wearing a little less or thinner materials, i.e. sandals and shorts in the evenings.

-meditate or train to focus on raising your perceived core body heat

Though I have never tried it, some riders swear by their electrically heated clothing.

JB

Cold showers are no fun but they'll train your body to deal with the cold. Breathing exercises go hand in hand with them.
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 08-03-2020 at 09:54 PM.