Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power-Assisted Sailing - the Slippery Slope

Not sure I made this point clear, let me re-state: this boat will not be entered into divisions with other competitors in YRA races, until such time more boats that are similarly equipped also enter the race. Until then, he’ll get a division of his own, so his performance can be evaluated and compared, but will not be in competition with other sailors who don’t have the benefit of the advanced systems being used on this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwalden View Post
    this boat will not be entered into divisions with other competitors in YRA races, until such time more boats that are similarly equipped also enter the race. Until then, he’ll get a division of his own, so his performance can be evaluated and compared, but will not be in competition with other sailors who don’t have the benefit of the advanced systems being used on this boat.
    As has been suggested as a remedy elsewhere in the thread.
    This seems to me to be a reasonable approach.

I think Solo's legit frustration is that this was not made clear by YRA, and that there's not been a similar response from the SSS.

DH

this boat will not be entered into divisions with other competitors in YRA races
    That would be a good thing but that didn't happen in the last few races. Also, being in an experimental "powered" division is one thing but they would still be eligible for an overall trophy which is no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    That would be a good thing but that didn't happen in the last few races. Also, being in an experimental "powered" division is one thing but they would still be eligible for an overall trophy which is no bueno.
    Yeah i already apologized for YRA not making it clear 8ball would be in its own division; it was a new experience for us also. We’ll do better.

As for an overall trophy i would not think so. At least for YRA we don’t do cross-division overall awards as far as I can tell; I can’t speak to what others orgs will do.

Unless I've heard wrong...... Eightball, first to finish, first overall, only boat to finish?
    Last edited by solosailor; 10-19-2020 at 11:17 AM.

It would seem to me that "experimental" is by definition not rate-able against other boats and that division should logically excluded from consideration for combined trophies; same logic that mono & multihulls have their own Season OA trophies.

Yes, creating such a division and carving out its exemptions would require some re-writing of the SSS Season NOR.
    OTOH, we are at the end of this season, such as it was, so now's about the time for that...

DH

FYI, the PHRF meeting minutes are available online. Here's the committee's recent decision regarding Eight Ball:

OWNER NAME / BOAT NAME / CLASS/MODEL
    Scott Easom / 8-Ball / J 100 MOD

Boat is fully powered with captive winches. It may not comply with RRS 52 and may not be watertight.

Base Rating for the J 100 is 81
    -6 sec/mi for powered captive winches
    -9 sec/mi for increased I & J

PROVISIONAL RATING ISSUED. Skipper needs to race boat in this configuration for 6 months and then send race results in to PHRF Committee for review of rating.

As Sailed: 66
    DW Rating: 595

My observation from this weekend is that Eight Ball's big code sail (see "increased I & J" above) and spinnakers did him more good in finishing on Saturday than the winch package.

On a related subject, could we move the V 1-2 to two weeks earlier like it was 10+ years ago? We usually had better wind earlier in October. It also gave the board more time to wrap up the season, plan the annual meeting, and work up the schedule for the next season.

Hello all,
    I had a great time racing with you guys in the Vallejo 1-2.

Scott gave us a nice little demo of 8-ball on Sunday morning. It's quite the machine - there's a long list of controls that trim and ease automatically with the push of a button. There is nothing that isn't powered. The only control that doesn't ease automatically is spinnaker sheet and masthead genoa sheet - those sails sheet to the powered cabin top winch. Everything else - Backstay, main outhaul, vang, sheet, traveler, jib outhaul, sheet, furler, are captive and powered in and out with a remote control.

This is obviously a big performance difference from a boat with just a couple powered winches, especially in shorthanded racing. I do think it puts the boat in a different category from those of us racing "normal" boats. I think that the line needs to be drawn somewhere, and I'm not sure exactly where, between power assist and fully automated. Then fully automated boats should be racing in their own division and not eligible for the overall awards in SSS.

Rebecca
    Bombora

Rebecca is a fierce competitor with a keen sense of fashion: "the singlehander style". And she's no whiner.

Sunday morning here she was sporting a whopping lump on her shin, gotten trying until the very end to finish Vallejo 1.

Name:  Rebecca Hinden.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  311.0 KB

Did she bleed all over Bombora? "Nah," said the fashionista. "It's cut on the bone."

I haven't seen the boat. However, I understand that, for example, the mainsheet disappears down below to a reel which is beneath the cabin sole. So if the handheld controller fails, or the electricity fails, or there's a big short-circuit, you can't release the mainsheet. Ditto for jib sheets. Maybe you can leave the helm and crawl down below under the cockpit sole to release the mainsheet.

That's insane. If there aren't manual overrides for the electrics this is a huge safety issue and I for one would never sail a boat like that in the Bay. Maybe I'd tool up and down the Alameda Estuary in that, but out in the main Bay? NO way.

If for that that reason alone and no other, I'm not so sure the boat should be racing in the SSS, totally aside from the issues with US Sailing rules.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"