Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sled 4 Daydreamer

Default New Sled 4 Daydreamer

Maybe sled is a bit generous, but will be a fun fun ride either way!

Found a 1995 Beiley B-25 at Lake Pleasant in Arizona.
    A trailerable 25 footer with a lifting keel, deck stepped mast and two bunks.
    Came with fractional and masthead symmetrical spinnakers, a Selden sprit with a masthead assym and top down furler.
    Has a fresh Ullman carbon main and 135.

Picked her up just before heading to Hanalei Bay for the SHTP finish.

We have had her out a couple times at New Melones lake to practice rigging and launching.
    Takes us about two hours to get sailing but should get better with practice.
    Sailed with main only so as not to scare my wife, but the helm has a good feel and is quite responsive

Came with the name Vitamin Sea, which my wife thought cute, but I'm not keen on so it's been removed.
    Thinking of "Akumu" or "Moe'uhane"

There is a bit to do before being race ready, especially singlehanded but we'll get there.

Looking forward to some days on the Bay and beyond!

Name:  IMG_0032.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  99.2 KB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Congratulations!

That looks like multiple oodles of fun.

The B25 is a good sailboat, but my personal preference was a Mair 28, of which only one was built.

I helped a friend pick up a B25 and help with delivery to Costa Mesa. His B 25 was the only one to enter the Transpac. His boat is probably over equipped for his planned uses. If you have any interest in the excess sail inventory or other gear, I can get you in touch.

His boat was on a high trailer since the lifting daggerboard was ‘sealed’ in place with centerboard trunk sealants. Removing those was a super PIA.

Cheers,
    Ants

H Ants

I would be interested in extra gear.
    gca at goldrush dot com

Curious as to how the B-25 entry was approved. I didn't think Transpac allowed outboard boats.

Found your Mair 28 photos. Nice boat. Is it still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Congratulations!

That looks like multiple oodles of fun.

Thank You!

Sweet ride Greg! IMO Beiley got the proportions just right on the B25, with a nice bit of sheer spring that's often missing in racier boats of that size.

A local B-25 active for about 20 years now is Zilla, which was/is owned by Brent Draney. I'll bet he'd be a great resource if you can track him down.

She looks like a perfect Berkeley Midwinter boat (and Ditch Run, etc.) - hopefully we'll see you out there! (P.S. - Agreed on the name change.)

Ants, the Transpac B-25 was Vapor, right? Somebody around here would know about the outboard situation (or if there was a rule change.) Greg N?
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-16-2021 at 11:25 AM.

It might have been different in the past but the crewed Transpac does allow an outboard with a number of requirements. Standard below deck tank w/fill/vent, it has to remain "attached" to the boat to deploy (ie - lowering it only), motoring speed requirement the same as an inboard, and it CANNOT be mounted on the stern. So this mean the outboard has to be in a inboard well. This makes the Hobie 33 one of the few boats that comes with a rule compliant setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Thinking of "Akumu" or "Moe'uhane"
    Looks sleek and lean, Greg! Could there be two more dichotomous possibilities for names?

Name:  672BE371-DA34-4E46-A47D-A0408215B05B.jpeg
Views: 500
Size:  109.5 KB

Vapor was the B25 that my friend purchased from Roger Craine, a RYC member if I recall correctly. I helped tow it from Stateline NV.

Some tales of B25 in the transpac were told, but the details are too fuzzy to recall.

As for the Mair 28, it showed up locally in the Kern River Valley. Big Surprise, but it has disappeared again.

Ants

Here's what I've been up to.

When I picked her up I saw some potential work to be done.
    Some of the interior had delaminated from the hull interior.
    Name:  IMG_4436.jpeg
Views: 473
Size:  2.66 MB
    I peeled and cut away tabbing until I found solid bonding then re-taped and epoxied.
    Name:  IMG_4459.jpeg
Views: 493
Size:  2.56 MB
    Painted the interior up to the deck.Name:  IMG_4484.jpeg
Views: 472
Size:  2.36 MB

My PHRF certificate arrived just in time for the Three Bridge Fiasco.
    After starting late it became clear that I desperately needed a depth sounder.
    Without one I was reluctant to explore the shore for current relief.
    I ended up out the Gate with the ebb and no breeze, retiring from there.

Alan H. and I made a deal and I picked up his i40 and in hull transducer.
    I cut out the core in a spot ahead of the keel in a compartment.
    Name:  IMG_4856.jpeg
Views: 483
Size:  2.78 MB
    Name:  IMG_4868.jpeg
Views: 467
Size:  2.78 MB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence